Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

using a muncie with a LS/LQ motor...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 05:47 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default using a muncie with a LS/LQ motor...

i am the exact opposite of most of you guys here. i want to build a 6.0 motor with L92 heads and a carb intake so bad! i plan to use hooker mounts and long tubes. my firewall is smooth and i have a hydroboost set up. plenty of room.

i currently have a 69 camaro with a built gen I engine and M22 muncie. i was looking in the may 2007 issue of chevy high performance in the article "four plus one" they install an TKO-600 behind a LS2.

they use a hydraulic T/O bearing kit from classic chevy 5 speeds. from what i understand that T/O bearing will fit the bearing retainer on a muncie. my concern in the flywheel and clutch.

can you bolt an older 11" clutch to a LS flywheel? McLeod makes modular bellhousing just for matting a muncie to an LS motor.

if that works then maybe just maybe it would be possible to make a bracket that bolts to the bell for the stock pivot ball so i can retain a mechanical clutch (that would be sweet) without getting in the way of headers.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im curious about this too. Im thinking of running a Super t-10 behind mine. I will be using a hydralic clutch but I hear a 85 or so chevy truck bellhousing and hdyralic setup will work. Of course thats just for my corvette, I dont think the master will work on others cars. My main concern is the pilot bearing in the crank. All the other parts should be self contained in the bellhousing(throw out bearing and arm). I dont see why they would have to be changed just because your bolting in to a different motor. All the clearances would be the same I would think but maybe the spacing on the LS Flywheel/pp is different?
Old 06-30-2007, 09:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

someone from tosto's racing had an ad in the classifieds sections selling all the parts you need to run a classic 4 speed behind a gen III engine. might try the search in classifieds(if it will work).
Old 06-30-2007, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out the McLeod bell housing..
Old 06-30-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Clutches go with engines not transmissions. So you would use the same clutch as was used in the article. If your Muncie is the older 10 spline then when you oder the clutch tell them you will need a disk with a 10 spline hub instead of the 26. Any clutch company worth anything can do this for you. The rest is all the same.

Andrew
Old 06-30-2007, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Lakewood makes a scatter shield that bolt a Gen 3/4 engine to a Muncie or T-10 (for older cars)
Old 06-30-2007, 02:00 PM
DCx
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the article didnt have any part numbers. anyone ever wonder why CHP and CarCraft leaves that small detail out?

i wrote classic chevy 5 speeds a message yesterday regarding the kit that was mentioned in the article. hopefully they have an answer. if i have to buy an entire new clutch, flywheel, hydraulics, and modular bell i might as well just get a T56 and ATS install kit. that modular bell is almost $600!

Quick Reply: using a muncie with a LS/LQ motor...