Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first gen s10 guys...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first gen s10 guys...

What did you do for wiring? I was going to use the stock computer to run everything except the motor. I'm starting to get alot of freaking wires all over the place.

Is it possible to remove the fuse block on the drivers side of the vehicle and install a smaller one to just control the lights and the smaller stuff and have the stand alone harness and computer for the motor. Its driving me nuts having all those wires and not knowing what half of them are used for and whatnot on the old fuse block.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

And this is why Im going carbed LS1 in my 91. good luck to ya man.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

In a first gen it is very easy to gut ALL the wiring and use like a painless wiring or other wiring kit. As it uses the typical GM column plugs and all that. So if you are really not wanting any of the wires...gut it. As long as you dont have RWAL brakes you dont need any of it. As far as the stock computer...it doesnt control anything once the old motor is out. Now depending on the year. If its like an 80's truck wont matter...I think only the 92,93, and then 94 blazer with the 4.3 might have some things controlled ny the stock computer...but I am pretty sure even they dont. Good luck to ya.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02White6.0
And this is why Im going carbed LS1 in my 91. good luck to ya man.

LOL, that was my original idea, but I changed my mind.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jhankinson
In a first gen it is very easy to gut ALL the wiring and use like a painless wiring or other wiring kit. As it uses the typical GM column plugs and all that. So if you are really not wanting any of the wires...gut it. As long as you dont have RWAL brakes you dont need any of it. As far as the stock computer...it doesnt control anything once the old motor is out. Now depending on the year. If its like an 80's truck wont matter...I think only the 92,93, and then 94 blazer with the 4.3 might have some things controlled ny the stock computer...but I am pretty sure even they dont. Good luck to ya.

Does RWAL = Rear Wheel Anti Lock brakes? If so my s10 does not have anti lock brakes. Although I just put on brand new brake lines and I had to take the proportion valve off and there was a black box on the side of the master cylinder with 2 plugs going into it. I have no idea what its for because I have no ABS.

I should get a picture of what I'm dealing with here so you guys can laugh.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

That big black box that is on the side of the master is RWAL. It does mean rear wheel anti-lock brakes. You may not think you had them...but if you have that box you do...they just suck incredibly bad. Most people get rid of the RWAL stuff cause IMHO its garbage. So really you can junk the original computer...keep only stuff like A/C controls and such (if you have them) and rewire the rest of the truck...much easier if you have a rats nest.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

That big black box that is on the side of the master is RWAL. It does mean rear wheel anti-lock brakes. You may not think you had them...but if you have that box you do...they just suck incredibly bad. Most people get rid of the RWAL stuff cause IMHO its garbage. So really you can junk the original computer...keep only stuff like A/C controls and such (if you have them) and rewire the rest of the truck...much easier if you have a rats nest.

LOL, it must be horrible because I never knew I had them. I just looked it up in some GM service information books and sure enought that is it. I actually took out all the A/C stuff, I never used it anyway, less weight etc. I also want to get rid of the cruise control stuff and it seems like a better idea to ditch the RWAL box and all those wires too.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Hey Jhankinson, could you possibly point me on the right direction as far as what kind of harness to get? I was searching summit and they had ALOT of different ones.

Also, how does the stock fuse block come off? I tried taking it apart last year and it was being a pain, so I just put it off until later.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

In a first Gen I am not so sure how it comes off. Probably have to tear into the dash as it kinda under it. I would just go for any GM compatible wiring harness....something like a 18 circuit Painless hanress or other brand. Just make sure you get one large enough for future expansion....thats why I would say use an 18 circuit. But back to the fuse box...I am sure its held up in there with a couple screws...just a pian to get to.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

In a first Gen I am not so sure how it comes off. Probably have to tear into the dash as it kinda under it. I would just go for any GM compatible wiring harness....something like a 18 circuit Painless hanress or other brand. Just make sure you get one large enough for future expansion....thats why I would say use an 18 circuit. But back to the fuse box...I am sure its held up in there with a couple screws...just a pian to get to.

Cool, and thanks again for all the info and help.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

No Problem!
Old 07-08-2007, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

can you keep the factory gauges and they work with this wap. i was looking yesterday at the pin outs and wire colors wondering if i splice the wires together and plus i have the pin outs for 2 gen. not sure the difference. but i hoping it works.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes you can make the stock gauges work...you just need to use the stock sending units and then make the DRAC or cable speedo work

Quick Reply: first gen s10 guys...