Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 in a 89 chevy truck

Old 07-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 in a 89 chevy truck

I just bought a 5.3 with the wiring harness out of a 2001 chevy truck. I've notice alot people recommending replacing the wiring harness with a painless harness. Is there a reason for this or can I use the factor harness that came with the engine? I also purchased a set of adapters for the engine mounts from summit. TRD-4592 Trans-Dapt Performance Engine Swap Motor Mounts
Motor Mount, Swap Mount, Complete, Chevy, Small Block/ Gen 1 to Chevy, Small Block/ LS1/ Vortec, Kit. Has anyone used these for a swap and will I have to buy anything else. Some swap have mentioned fabricating a lower mount to raise the engine. Will I need two o2 sensors for the exhaust? If so is the lcation important?

If anyone can provide a list of parts needed and instruction to complete the swap please feel free to email me @ htd1964@yahoo.com.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, a lot of questions! There are a few threads on here you should read before you do anything else. The sticky about Camaro's is a good start, and the LS1 FAQ sticky as well. I would recomend our thread as a source of some info https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/684612-story-our-ls1-swap-into-67-camaro.html as well as
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/370781-my-ls1-t56-swap-into-68-chevy-c-10-stepside.html
Good advice here...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/743640-1995-silverado-1500-6-0-swap.html
There are a LOT of people on here that have come up with some great solutions to installs. You should try a search, though it doesn't always work well.

I personally would reccomend that you either mod the harness yourself, or send it to one of the great guys on the site that mod them for a living. We used Speartech with great results. Your computer will need reprogrammed, there are a lot of poeple on here that can handle that as well (John at Speartech can take care of it). You don't have to have O2 sensors if you want to run a Speed Density setup, but I highly reccomend you have sensors and use the Mass Airflow setup. You will be buying many things, check out some of the other swaps. You can download our spreadsheet for what we needed for our swap at http://hosted.filefront.com/67rsss though it will not directly coalate to your swap, it gives you an idea of what is involved. The swap is doable, you just need to have a good plan in place before you do it!
Old 07-19-2007, 08:47 PM
11 Second Club

I used the TD mounts on my 89 that I put in a 5.3 4l60e out of a 00 silverado. It allowed me to keep the drive shaft but the a/c compressor is another story. I reused the r4 compressor off the 6.2 I pulled out with a 91-95 a/c smog pump bracket I had laying around. I am ready in the next few days to start and drive my truck. Jim
Old 07-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hugger 6933
I used the TD mounts on my 89 that I put in a 5.3 4l60e out of a 00 silverado. It allowed me to keep the drive shaft but the a/c compressor is another story. I reused the r4 compressor off the 6.2 I pulled out with a 91-95 a/c smog pump bracket I had laying around. I am ready in the next few days to start and drive my truck. Jim

is that a small block bracket that you used? any images? very curious to see low-buck alternatives for high mounting AC compressors on the truck LSx engines. all the kits to do this are extremely out of line price wise
Old 07-20-2007, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread, I have a Vortec 454 going into an 89 Silverado so hopefully this thread will help. One thing I would suggest would be to update the A/C system. The old 89 system didn't work worth a **** when I started to pull my truck apart so I decided to upgrade to the 98 setup. All the **** fits so it's not that hard of a thing to do. Wiring the engine, on the other hand, is a little unsettling. I'm wiring my truck up the best I can with both the 89 and 98 shop manuals (Helm's). The way I see it is I'll wire everything up and if it doesn't work and I can't find the problem I'll just drop the bills for the Painless/Speartech harness.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.3 in a 89 chevy truck