Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serpentine Belt Systems for a 2nd Gen Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Serpentine Belt Systems for a 2nd Gen Camaro

I just purchase a 2006 LS2 pull-out from a GTO. I have a 73 camaro and I've already ordered a replacement F-body oil pan for the motor. The next area for modification is the serpentine belt system. I've done some searching and came up with the following aftermarket options.

March Performance $ 1,350 marchperf.com
Street & Performance $ 1,800 hotrodlane.cc
Zoops Product $ 2,300 zoops.com
Synister Products $ 2,500 synisterproducts.com
Detroit Speed & Eng $ 3,500 detroitspeed.com

Does anyone have any experience with these kits? Do they fit the 2nd gen camaro's without mods? Is there a major quality difference from the 1300 dollar March kit to the 2,500 dollar Synister kit?

The other option would be to buy the Corvette serpentine system and add a bracket for a different A/C unit. Does anyone have the parts numbers for the Corvette system? Is the power steering pump the same for the Corvette and the GTO? Thanks....
Old 07-24-2007, 05:14 PM
Launching!

I have played with all of them in person. The issue with the DSE one (made by Wegner automotive) is that the Stewart water pump has the t-stat dead center up high which makes any factory manifold and throttle body unusable.

The Synister ones is a nice unit, my only gripe is that the use aluminum spacers to mount the brackets off the water pump, and when test fitting the system onto a block, 2 out of 6 spacers stripped out by hand.

The S&P one is too blingy for my tastes, and puts the accessories out into space away from the block. I have also had a few clients that had the supports fail and not hold belt tension. March Performance's system is in the same boat as this one.

The Zoops system looks like a copy of the Synister one to me. I prefer the looks of the Synister one over the Zoops system only because the zoops looks like something you might get out of a vending machine in one of those little plastic egg bubble thingys.

You forgot the Billet Specialties drive, which doesn't actually relocate anything for any clearance, and is more of a dress up kit.

Your last option is the Sidewinder LSX drive. It was developed in conjunction with Vintage Air, GM and Katech engines by my crew here at ATS. Our system uses custom made ARP studs to hold the entire assembly to our revised GM cast water pump. you can check it out in our products section at www.t56kit.com if you are interested.

Tyler
Old 07-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Tyler.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

Is this just for bling or is there a benefit, since you dont seem to be relocating anything?
Old 07-24-2007, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

It's for function. The GTO serpentine system has the AC low on right side. If it's not relocated then you'll have to notch the crossmember. I beleive the same applies for the alternator, low left side, which may also interfere with the steering box. I looked at Billet Specialties, it's a non AC system only.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

The alternator clears steering box. It comes close to the top of the bolt for the pitman arm. I just ground the top of the bolt, the excess threads. The gto compressor will not work. The ac lines point right at the a-arm. I used a f body compressor and lines. Works great with classic auto air system. By the way 04 gto 71 camaro.

Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt Systems for a 2nd Gen Camaro