Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LM7 into a Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LM7 into a Jeep

Hey guys, I'm swapping a 2003 LM7 5.3l truck motor into a '97 Jeep Wrangler. I have a few questions about the wiring, ECU, sensors and so on.

First off... the wiring. I have the original harness from the truck and need to have it stripped of everything un-needed. I've heard that Jim @ www.jimsperformance.com is good place to go. I understand he also does ECU reflashing. Anyone know approx. costs? Any other recommendations?

I'm going to be running a TH350 behind the motor, w/o a VSS. Will the motor have any problems operating without the VSS? If I need to, I'll have the ECU reflashed to operate sans VSS.

Now the current throttle body is drive-by-wire... can I just eliminate the wiring and swap on a older factory cable-actuated throttle body, or an aftermarket throttle body? Will I need to have that added to the ECU reflash?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later on, but that's a good start.

Last edited by Greg@RME; 07-25-2007 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Send your harness and pcm, both, to http://www.wait4meperformance.com/. He is a board sponcer and does good work, usually cheaper than anyone else. You can swap to a cable throttle body, just be sure to tell the person that modifies your harness to remove the wiring for the DBW. You can get a vss at Jagsthatrun that will screw onto your cable speedometer drive. You will be much better off with one. Call Jesse at the above link and talk to him. He can modify your harness and pcm so that it will work the way it needs to for your conversion.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg,

I had my harness and computer work done by John at Speartech (also a board sponsor). Great guy to deal with, very helpful. I got the drive by wire pedal with my engine/trans and had the wiring worked into the harness. It works great. Good luck with the swap.