Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Everybody with a Gbody and A/C....

Old 07-26-2007, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Everybody with a Gbody and A/C....

If you have done a swap and keep your A/C let me know how you did it... Be as specific as possible...
Old 07-31-2007, 02:20 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well uhm it depends on what G-Body you are swapping into. Theres a lot of ways to keep the AC, from ones that use factory brackets without cutting the frame to cutting the frame, to making new brackets. It all depends on where your factory compressor was located, if you want to use it or the LSx compressor and what car its going into.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:00 AM
Teching In

I am putting AC back in mine (85MCSS). I used a delete panel on the firewall and removed all of the clutter from the engine bay, and ordered the Classic Air kit that fits inside the dash. I just need to get my AC compressor bracket from S&P and I will be good to go. The S&P bracket mounts it high on the passenger side, and it makes my stock brackets on the drivers side look like crap.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:46 PM
Teching In

I was going for and F-body into an '87 GN. I might look into the Classic Air thing.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:43 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are going with an f-body motor you have a couple options.

1. use the LS1 f-body compressor and bracket and notch the frame
2. If the GN has the compressor on the top passenger side you might be able to get a 3rd gen f-body R4 compressor with the serpentine belt pulley and then use a bracket to mount it to the passenger side head, I think it was either hawks or f-body motorsports that sells the bracket.
3. I think John B used to make brackets to mount a LT1 compressor high on the passenger side, not sure if he still does.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you trying to keep the G-Body system (Evap box, Condenser and controls) ?

In either or all of the following option, new or modify lines will be required.

The 1st item to review is the type of Adapter plates your using. If using the S&P style, you will have to relocate the AC compressor cause the plate will hit the compressor. Or use the F-Body R4 compressor as stated in the other replies.
If using BRP style plates and have move the Frame mounts, you can notch the frame and keep the LS1 F-Body compressor.

So, if the goal is to keep the rest of the G-Body system intack and just use the LS1 Compressor (R4 or a Sanden), you can just get someone to modify or make new lines to fit the LS1 Compressor (or R4/LT1) to the G-Body system and wire the compress to the G-Body electrical (may have to use a inline high pressure switch if you G-Body uses one, I think it does, and is located on the back of the compress or inline on the high side line going into the EVAP Box?).
It is just a switch12v and a ground, if using a high side switch, if the pressure gets too high, the ground is interrupted by high side switch and the compressor clutch is dis-engaged until the pressure return to the high pressure range.

fyi.. I am using my Stock Chevelle system with the only change being the LS1 Compressor and modified lines. using stock GM/A body controls. No High pressure switch was used.
It works, maybe not the best, but working on it and right now I got cold air. Depending on the driving and conditions, 45-50 deg air with highway speed and 50-57 deg air in traffic !

Hope this helps.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:51 AM
Teching In

Thanx for all the replies... I want to keep the car as drivable as possible... I am still in the planning phase...
Old 08-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DarthMonte
I am putting AC back in mine (85MCSS). I used a delete panel on the firewall and removed all of the clutter from the engine bay, and ordered the Classic Air kit that fits inside the dash.
I am looking to do what you did by putting the AC behind the dash in my 1978 Malibu. What kit did you get from Classic Air that fit behind your dash? Have you installed it yet?
Old 08-07-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

F-body motorsports also makes a bracket setup that uses a late 80's f-body compressor and mounts high passenger side.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:27 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

3. I think John B used to make brackets to mount a LT1 compressor high on the passenger side, not sure if he still does.
Still make 'em and they work like a charm and best of all, if you want a less conspicious look to the installation, this is a good way to get there.
Attached Thumbnails Everybody with a Gbody and A/C....-acbrkt.jpg  
Old 08-08-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
F-body motorsports also makes a bracket setup that uses a late 80's f-body compressor and mounts high passenger side.

Any details on this? Price, link?
Old 08-09-2007, 03:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BLWN1
Any details on this? Price, link?
http://www.fbodymotorsports.com/inc/sdetail/12165
Old 08-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The latest GM AC compressors supposedly are variable displacement and are electronically controlled. They vary the displacement instead of cycling on and off. Has anyone had issues hooking them up to earlier AC systems ? Can they be wired to cycle just like the older pumps?

The Geezer
Old 01-30-2008, 01:26 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

The latest GM AC compressors supposedly are variable displacement and are electronically controlled. They vary the displacement instead of cycling on and off. Has anyone had issues hooking them up to earlier AC systems ? Can they be wired to cycle just like the older pumps?
I've had my A/C operational since 2001 using a late model LT1 compressor and it's still works fine!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Everybody with a Gbody and A/C....