Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1/700r4 into 02 Jeep TJ

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1/700r4 into 02 Jeep TJ, crawler/go fast rig.

Building a pretty cool 4x4 rig for a feature in CRAWL Magazine.

Started with a 02 Jeep Wrangler TJ with 43K on it and in PERFECT working order. Dropped it off in Colorado Springs CO at Tanner 4 Wheel Drive Center, and had it down to nothing but a frame and tub when I left 2 days later.

It'g getting the LS1 built a bit, 700R4 trans with every badass part you can put in one. Atlas 4 speed t-case. Solid HP 60 axles.
King triple bypasses and coilovers at each corner and 4 linked F/R.

Crappy cell phone pic #1

Crappy cell phone pic #2

The 700R4 looks killer. Talked to Roy @ Ace Transmissions out of Co Springs, and this trans is ready to hit it! As built as you can get a 700R4, and it has a full manual valve body. Roy has a custom converter set up for the LS1 and Howell computer as well.

Crappy cell phone pic #3

Crappy cell phone pic #4

Ram off road / American imports is responsable for putting an LS1 into my hands, Ray I love you man! Ray owns the wrecking yard the LS1 came from (American Imports) , but he also owns a CNC machine and makes some of the sickest high steer arms, and motor mounts I have EVER seen.
Here's the motor mounts I'll be using:

With this base, built for the LS1:

Last edited by V8TJ; 08-10-2007 at 02:55 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Axles:

The Solid Axle HP 60's are being built King pin front with Warn 35 spline premium lock outs, and full float rear Check out their inner C's....so damn burly! http://www.solidaxle.com/tek9.asp?pg=product

Old 07-27-2007, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Suspension:

King Shocks. Yep that's right, King is on board and stepping up with 2.5 coil-overs and 2.5 bypasses. 8)
14" coil-overs and bypasses all the way around in the front.
14" bypasses and 16" ciol-overs in the rear.

Cage & Interior work:

"These holes ??? Oh yea , that is for the full functioning defroster/heat and A/C
Old 07-27-2007, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

We are now ready to format our dash and start laying out our guages , heater and ac controls , and all the rest of our switch, glove boxs, light etc.!!

The seats mounts are on the floor cage ,and all the structure bars are placed. Grab handles are in , soft top bow mounts are mounted and the basic dash lay out is in !!
We haven't finalized the welding in the front yet BECAUSE WE DON"T HAVE THE DAMN GUAGES !!!! ( little hint Brandon) ha ha ha !!!

The cage has some great lines no matter what angle you look at it from , and the tube work is super clean and doesn't look over done even with all the support bars and the baja style floor work !! The center console will be fully plated in aluminum , and powder coated to match the paint and should really look slick and subtle when completed !! The seats will fit like a glove , and passengers should have that " I'm safe in my own little **** pit feel " . All shifters and switchs will be well with in Brandons reach and the pedals feel perfect !

All the open areas in the console will soon be filled with aluminum and will house all Brandons goodies like , speakers and sub , vent s and controls , GPS , Racer pac dash , displays , Disco ball and inflatable doll... opps wrong build , thats for that other magazine!!

Old 07-27-2007, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Summit Racing is on board and sending some goods for the build!
Starter:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

Alternator:

High flow fuel pump:

Wilwood Aluminum Master Cylinders:

Flaming River steering column:

Grant steering wheel & quick disconnect:

Fuel cell: after we figure out the size and dimensions

http://www.summitracing.com/
Old 07-27-2007, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

The back frame section has been removed.

The rear section of the frame will be carefully trimmed back and all suspension mount will be removed from the front section of the frame. We are setting this TJ up for a 106" wheelbase which means the front and rear axles will both need to be moved outward quite a bit !

The rear frame will be trimmed about another 13" back, just ahead of the body mount. This area will not only give us a nice clean capped look, but should also provide a great mounting location for the proper length links to help acheive our goal of close to 3' of rear wheel travel !!! Can you say hang time !!! Now we know Brandon would NEVER air this rig out like that (after all the mag is called CRAWL right?) but this should really soak up the whoops if the LS-1 ever gets away from him !!

The large "lumps" in the inner fender wells are where we will be bringing the huge King coilovers and bypass shocks up through the body , so they will have to be removed !

With the front and rear diffs in the general vacinity of where they will be , we can begin mocking up our suspension system ! We are going to be using a PSC hydro assist steering system which means we will still have a gear box , draglink , and tierod , monted on the vehicle. We want our ride to stay about 4" over stock ride height and still be able to stuff our 40" stickys up into the fenders!! What this means is our front tires will be pushed further to the front of the vehicle, and our coilovers and mount , will be laid back a slight angle ! We should have a great approach angle and the Jeep should handle much better at hi speeds !

Old 07-27-2007, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Rear tub section cut out to make way for the bypasses and coil-overs.

Our sub frame for the rear of the TJ is built ! This means it is time to build hangers for the links , frame tie ins for the cage , and start adding all the cool little touchs like cool guy holes in the frame! Take a look at the welds , not a bad one on the whole damn rig !! We call him the Dan-O-matic !

"In the mean time however we have done a little clean up work on the rear by adding a few cool guy holes and finishing a little grind work ! We are sleeving the holes with 1 3/4" DOM so the frame doesn't loose any strenght and doesn't fill with dirt , slime or any other undesirables !" Pete

Old 07-27-2007, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Mocking up the front fenders:

Couple more pics of the front fenders coming along.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Got HID's?

Here's the Baja Designs/Soltec light bar with 2- HID Driving lights & 2- HID spots.
Gonna light up your life!
Old 07-27-2007, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Front frame went BUH BYE

Then the new front frame section was welded on. It's raised about 2.5 inches, with some cool touches. 8)

Old 07-27-2007, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

The grill was removed (obvioulsy ) and it will actually be moved back just a hair.
The front section of the grill, approx. 1.5" of healights and slots, will be cut off the back thick section and mounted to the radiator hoop you see here.

We're looking at cutting a bottom section of the grill and pushing the winch back into it and the mounting plate will be welded in about half way down the frame rails. Should look pretty unique... 8)

Then a whole new bumper we're discussing wil be mounted up and should look pretty badass. It will be about even with the front edges of the tires when looking at it from the side.

Last edited by V8TJ; 07-31-2007 at 02:22 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

MY LS1 is getting put back together. Today the guys at Lee's Machine in Co Spings Co did some work on the LS1.

Milled the block and heads a bit, honed the cylinders, threw the crank on the lathe and did some other measurements and machining.

Big thanks to Comp Cams! CC stuff and lots of nice goodies from Summit racing showed up as well.

Bought an LS6 intake & ported TB from, 2002BLKWS6, here on the LS1 boards that will go on as well. I'm not going for a 1/4 mile machine, since this is going in my jeep. It'll be more power right off idle, and hopefully some very usable TQ and power throughout the range, and still maintain good street manners, and driveability.

Roger that...Here ya go.

LS6 intake manifold:

Ported TB:

Last edited by V8TJ; 07-31-2007 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Default kick down cable

w hat r u doing for the kick down cable? i put a ls1 into my 88 toy runner and had 2 modify the throtle bracket to accept the 700 r 4 cable . just looking for some different ideas.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:22 AM
On The Tree

I wont be using one since Im running a full manual valve body. It will stay in whatever gear I put it in, and hopefully I dont downshift going 70 into 2nd!!! BOOOM!
Old 08-10-2007, 02:52 AM
On The Tree

More updates for the fabricator gear heads out there on the LS1Tech forums.

Front fender view with some goodies from Summit Racing on the hood. (this is just a mock up hood)

More parts

Atlas 4 speed

Big box of QA1 rod ends

Another pile of parts! I cant wait for this junk to be in, under and on the jeep.

Front warn 9.5 TI winch sunk down between the newly built front frame rails. The grill will be cut out and moulded around the winch, and will look like it's stock. And a great view of the kickass front tube fenders

Blue Torch fab rocker gaurds and rear comp cut corners mocked up and the rear corners cut.

Full view of how it's looking now.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:53 AM
On The Tree

King coil-overs and triple bypasses...BLING! Now that's a PILE of money right there!!!

Piggyback triple Bypasses

Coil-overs

Old 08-10-2007, 02:58 AM
Teching In

Just read through all of that, great stuff! I'm insanely jealous! I'm the proud owner of a '77 CJ-7 Great work man, cant wait to see it all finished!

p.s. that last pic is pretty funny, dude with a sandwich

Last edited by getready; 08-10-2007 at 02:59 AM. Reason: sandwich
Old 08-10-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

holy S@#%!!!!!! amazing man, thats alot of work and alot of upgrades lol basicly the only thing that is stock on your jeep is part of the frame and part of the body lol
Old 08-10-2007, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

hahaha. yep. 1/3 of the frame and the tub, or what's left of the tub. We talked about just tearing out the reamining frame and doing a whole new frame/chassis, but there's really no reason to at the present time.

Once it's been wheeled hard and gets beat, we'll pull the tub and build a full tube buggy, and it'll become a trailer queen.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

TXjeepTJ- What exhaust did you go with? LT headers or stock? Dual?

Quick Reply: LS1/700r4 into 02 Jeep TJ