Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

length of time to wire up an ls1?

Old 07-31-2007, 02:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default length of time to wire up an ls1?

can anyone who has done an ls1 conversion tell me how many man hours it took to wire your computer to your vehicle? i took expecting to have my 79 c10 back from the shop in the next week or so and am trying to get some opinions on what to expect. all they had to do was make the connections, and mate my new gauge cluster to the harness. what do you think?
Old 07-31-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats kind of a loaded question. Everyone is goign to have their own way of doing things. If this is someone that has worked with the LS1 harness before, I imagine they could do it in a day. If they are new to it, probably a couple days.

I never reworked a harness in my life, and I had my harness stripped, rewired, and had the fuse blocks stripped and installed in about 3 evenings of work. Probably about 10-15 hours. But i did some extra stuff...and I wasnt wiring to stock gauges. All stand alone.

J.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

I would say the 10 -15 hour estimate is about right if you have some wiring experience. I have about 10 in mine and need around 3 more to finish. Someone that works on ls1 harnesses would do it faster I think.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

I had about 7 in the harness itself and another 10 building the relay/fuse box
Old 08-01-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two full weekend days (~20 hours) to map the pins, fabricate a dummy harness from rope, and build this harness to connect the uncut LS1 harness to my unmodified chassis connectors plus the fusible-link 12VDC feeds.

http://www.warpten.com/carpics/ls1/DSC00034.JPG

That doesn't include the ~4 hours to strip down the '00 LS1 vehicle harness to harvest wires and connectors from which the pictured harness was built.

It's a nice way to go, you end up with all Packard TXL wire of the correct color and gauge. The LS1 engine harness pinouts are unchanged, as are the chassis ones, so diagnosing problems is easy.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup... using the stock harness wires and plugs is the way to go. I extended some wires on mine, because of PCM location, but other than that, its unmodified.

Just remember, the more time you spend making sure lengths are right, routing is right, plugs are in the right spot, the EASIER it will go together, and the EASIER it will be to service in the future.

You can just clip wires, tape whats left up, and shove it in the way it is... then have to take 3 things apart just to get to the harnless later. Or you can map it out, take your time, taylor it to your car and not only end up with a cleaner product, but a lot more functional as well.

You are putting this in a truck... So really, that kinda opens up options for you. You have a ton of room to route things and make things look great.

J.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

I think that what other have said is about accurate. It all depends on how much you will do.

If you get a engine with harness from a donor car, try to get the connectors that go out to the car. The ones you need is C100, C101, C105, C220 and C230. Also try to get the datalink connector as well. If you get them with a few feet of cables you have saved yourself a lot of trouble. Then it is pretty easy to hook them up to relays and fuses.

There are a few connectors that will be left over, just let them stay as is or cut them of. If you cut any cables remember to insulate them. As a general rule of thumb, pink and orange cables carry current so don't let them hang loose without insulation.

Good Luck

Jan
Old 08-01-2007, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

yeah , i got the engine and body harness with the motor and tranny. but i also purchased a new body harness and fuse block for the truck.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

10-15 hours to do the actual work sounds about right. however I spent a lot more hours reading the diagrams of both the LS1 and the car I was putting it in to ensure I got it all right. I also striped all the unused wiring from the engine harness as well.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3 hours to hook up the standalone harness to the existing harness, a little longer to wire in the CEL and OBDII port.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: length of time to wire up an ls1?