Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

67 chevelle header question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 67 chevelle header question

after trying the exhaust manifold route,( 6.0 truck manifolds didnt fit too well & I have f body manifolds in now, they are a close fit but dont look to great ) I'm going the header route . ive seen hooker makes long tube,ls chevelle headers & edelbrock makes f body direct replacement headers which may fit.but after seeing 67rss header choice ( s&p ) that seems the best route.Has anyone used any of these headers on chevelles ( 66 or 67 ) or have any suggestions ? thanks JOHN
Old 08-04-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe that s&p makes longtubes for chevelles. They make some shorties that probably work but will gain no power over ehaust manifolds. I have trial fitted the hookers on my 67 and they seem to fit great even with my engine set further back than the adapter plates hooker recommends. The only fitment issue I have is with the shift linkage (column shift auto) which should be fixed by a console mounted shifter.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks . im going with a center console . do you have the black or coated headers? i called jegs and they said i could return them if they didnt fit .JOHN

Last edited by john 67; 08-04-2007 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

I went ahead and paid extra for the coated ones. I hated the look of my old rusted headers. I should probably go ahead and say I was a bit dissapointed in the quality of the hooker headers for the $600 price tag but its the only choice out there really. Also jegs failed to ship the 02 extensions, gaskets and bolts with the headers so make sure yours get taken care of.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:35 AM
TECH Resident

67rsss used "mid-length" S&Ps I believe... a bit longer than typical shorties and stock manifolds, but shorter than full-length like my Hookers.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ordered headers from s&p about a week ago thanks for the input & info.JOHN
Old 10-01-2007, 12:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by john 67
ordered headers from s&p about a week ago thanks for the input & info.JOHN
So John.... did you get the S&P headers? Do you have any pics? Were they coated? Have you tried to mock them in place? Also, what did they cost?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im still waiting for the s&p headers. they told me 4 to 6 weeks,i only ordered them after trying a set of f body manifolds then a pair of truck manifolds, the f body hit the drivers side chasis and the truck ones also touched the chasis .i considered gto manifolds but i also doubt they will work. hooker makes longtube ls retrofit headers but i thought S&P 3/4 headers were the best choice because they would elimimate any header / floor clearance issues if you need to raise up the engine for other clearance issues( like steering ).they are approx. $600 coated in chromex .look at 67rss post to see a similar set of headers .i know there are a few different types of truck manifolds one of which may fit, but i just got tired of wasting time and money i should have went the s&p route from the getgo. status us on your progress any pics? JOHN
Old 10-02-2007, 05:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

i ordered a set of the s & p headers, plain-they told me about a week, if much longer i will pull the motor back out and work on the body-i looked at the hookers, but they use their mounts, which push the motor further back, and up a little-i have a 4l80e mocked up in it now, and by pushing the motor further back, it will cause isseues, where as it fits now-guess i'll just have to wait on the headers and ck the fit
Old 10-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

I have a 67 Chevelle as well and I am using the ATS mounts. I also tried the truck manifolds, Vette manifolds and another set Tyler let me borrow from a crate LS2... nothing fits... I was going to try some SSR or Trailblazer SS ones but I gave up as well... I liked the S&P 3/4 length but I saw a pic of the Hookers that look like they might be tight to the floor... Somenone was going to take more pics for clearance shots... There was a comapany that build a 67 Chevelle with an LS2 and they said they had to modify the S&P headers... but they didn't say what they were using for mounts. The also used these on a 68 GTO and a 70 Chevelle and no clearance problems... hccperformance.com

We need to start an "A-Body LSx Swap" sticky... so we can list what fits and what doesnt ... should incude the following info...

Year: 1967
Model: Chevelle
Engine: LS2
ACCESSORY BRACKETS: none yet
OIL PAN: ATS
MOTOR PLATES: ATS
HEADER TYPE: none yet
Part Number:
Comments:
[
[
[
[
[

The comment section should say what issues came up, clearance problems Special mods...rack and pinion... frame notch.... custom frame... Etc...
Old 10-03-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

MC....s&p said they are gauranteed to fit, i hope so,painless wiring had a 66 or 67 el camino on the 06 power tour , they told me they used escalade ex manifolds for their ls conversion, may be worth looking into.as soon as the s&p headers arrive they will be mocked up and added to my build thread ( 67 chevelle ls2 updated with pics)you can see the acc.there no real clearance issues,
forcd ind.......my 4l80 is tight but clears so far maybe need some mods for the trans cooling lines. what oil pan are you using?

Quick Reply: 67 chevelle header question