Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 in a 82 Chevy silverado

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 03:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 in a 82 Chevy silverado

Hello I have a 1982 chevy silverado 3/4 ton 4x4 that I would like to put a 6.0 engine out of a late model truck. I know nothing about doing engine swaps like this so I thought I would come here for some help. I used to have a 383 stroker in it but I want to upgrade to something more modern with fuel injection and such. I also read an article in Car Craft about then putting a few key parts on one of these engines and it made pretty good power. I currently have a TH400 that was built to handle the power of my 383, will this trans work with the 6.0? Also is the 6.0 and LS engine? I think I have heard them called LQ4 or something like that, sorry, I am just ery new to these newer engines. What would be the best year of engine to get? And if I needed them, where would I get new motor mounts to make this motor bolt up to where my small block was? I would really like to do the swap myself instead of getting charged a ton to have a shop out here in vegas do it. Well any info you all could give me would be awesome, I will post again later
thanks
Old 08-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Teching In

I just had a couple more questions if anyone looks and repost in here, hahaha, since I am going to run my th400 where do I hook up that wire that runs off my trans for the kick down to the new engine? Also these 6.0L truck engines are drive by wire correct? So if I got the pedal assembly out of the donor truck I could just retrofit that whole pedal in my truck right? Or would it just be easier to change the TB from wire to a cable? Does anyone make motor mounts to do this?
Old 08-19-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

First off, on your transmission question: Yes, it will work with a little bit of effort. If I recall correctly, the 4L80e is very similar to the TH400 on the head end.
There are a number of Gen III/IV engines that many people refer to as the "LS1" The LQ4 is the iron block, 6.0L variant. The differences could be likened to a 305 and 350 from the same era. Most parts are interchangeable.
In regards to the throttle body, there have been a multitude of people who have performed the electronic throttle body swap in a vehicle. You're correct that the only additional piece you'll need is the newer pedal assembly. In my research it looks like the only real downfall to running the electronic throttle body is that it's slightly more difficult to tune. When looking for a donor, I've been told to look for something '03 and up.

If you're wanting a 6.0L you'll want to find either an LQ4, LQ9, or the newer '07+ variants, the LY6 and the L76. A great resource for the Vortec engine is Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine

Quick Reply: 6.0 in a 82 Chevy silverado