Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autometer Speedo

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 03:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autometer Speedo

I picked up a full set of Auto Meter Gauges for my 64' Nova. All of them are easy to wire up, except I'm unsure about the Speedo. The Speedo that I have is an electric one, not a mechanical. How do I connect that correctly? The car currently has a wild 327/4spd combo. Oh and its an M21 tranny. I picked up the electric one for my future LS2/6spd combo, because I heard it was easier that way. Well any info on that would greatly help.

Thanks,
Smitty
Old 08-14-2007, 04:52 AM
Launching!

No instructions with the unit? Call and or visit their web site for the wiring info.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the instructions for that gauges arent going to do you any good if you dont have a speed sensor in the trans. Which Im assuming you dont.

Are you looking to instally the gauges now? Or are you asking for when you do the 6sp combo??

If you want to install them now, you will need a converter box. It will turn the mechcanical drive for the stock speedo into an electrical signal. You can then use that signal to operate the speedo. You'll have to program the speedo after you install it.

If you are hooking the speedo to a 6spd...thats easy. Just use the speed sensor wire on the trans, or you can use the output from the PCM. Either one should work... Again, you'll have to program it.

If you start out using the converter box...then switch to the 6spd, you'll need to program it once again for that too.

Check autometer for a converter box...if not, Dakota Digital comes to mind as having one. They arent the cheapest things in the world if I remember correctly...but then again neither are the autometer electric speedos.

If that didnt answer your question or if you have more...just ask!

J.

EDIT: I think this is what it will look like. And maybe its not a box like I thought. Seems like its a fairly cheap adapter. Just a simple pulse generator. And since the autometer is pretty versitile, it should work. Just check it out before you purchase. Shouldnt be a big deal.

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 08-14-2007 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:43 AM
Launching!

Check here for a start..http://www.autometer.com/tech_faq_an...x?sid=2&qid=43
Old 08-14-2007, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup... I didnt even think to check in the FAQ section on autometers site.

I would say give autometer a call...but sometimes the customer service is a bit sketchy...but I usually get lucky and get a helpful tech.

J.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Hey 2003Rex, this link helped me out a lot when I was wiring my gauges.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/445782-so-you-want-replace-your-cluster-aftermarket-gauges.html
Old 08-15-2007, 02:28 AM
Teching In

Thanks a lot guys... I appreciate it....

Smitty.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an Autometer gauge sender, if you need it. It is made to send a signal to the electric speedo and screws onto the speedo cable hookup.