Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrecked my baby....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Wrecked my baby....

Hey all. Hope its cool I posted here. This is where most of the people know me and my car... Not so much over in appearance.

Had a little mishap yesterday. Car is probably going to be totalled..just a gut feeling. But we'll see.

Im seriously sick to my stomach. I just picked it up from the tuner... 30 minutes later, this. Got caught up in a "domino effect" traffic accident. Actually rear ended my girlfriend's car. No one was hurt...just broke my heart when I got out and saw her.

J.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Banned

sorry to hear...good luck with it....any under hood pics did it get the radiator support? doesnt look too bad to tellyou the truth...just hood and fenders/bumper
Old 08-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Serious bummer! Just my 2 cents, if they don't repair make sure you get a good market appraisal for car's value. As you know you have a lot more in it and your car is much more valuable than a "regular" one like it. Email if you don't have anyone to do an appraisal.

I would be happy to do one for you at no charge. I do total valuations and diminished value evaluations here in Indiana. Good luck on bringing her back!
Old 08-17-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

It is fixable! Anything can be fixed if you are determined enough. Glad to hear that everyone is fine, but really bummed to see your bird was hurt.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

I always hate seeing someone's pride and joy like that. As was said, it looks like everything is superficial. I second getting an independent valuation on your vehicle. I think it will be well worth your time and effort.

You mentioned the "domino effect" in your accident. Did you end up with any damage from behind?
Old 08-17-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There's no way that's totalled unless it really messed up the subframe horns. That looks like a bumper, fenders, hood, headlights and maybe a radiator support. The horns can be pulled and shimmed as long as they're only bent in front of where the suspension mounts. You can get used thirdgen parts so cheap that it won't cost you a lot of money to repair that car. You might have 2k-2500 in damage, which shouldn't be enough to total most stock thirdgens, but just talk to the adjuster when they come to look at it and tell him that you don't want it totalled. Usually they'll write it up for just slightly less if it would have totalled it. By the time you buy the used parts, you'll wind up making money off this.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

If they do total it just buy it back from insurance. If they do total it and you let them have it let me know when they take it.....i'll buy it off the insureance company!!
Old 08-17-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the support guys. I only looked under the hood briefly to see if anything was hitting the motor. Then I wired the hood shut, so I havent looked back under it.

Right now, I can say that the rad support is probably bent. I dont think its bent bad. And I cant say if the horns shifted any. It wasnt a really hard impact. The car still drives straight and handles great, so I dont think the impact affected anything back by the suspension.

The only thing that worries me is that the steering wheel is now off. Im trying to picture how that can happen...

Whoever mentioned having it appraised. Funny you should mention. My insurance agent told me that it would most likely be totalled by my desc. I then told her how much work/money I have into it. So told me to have it appraised right away...even though its wrecked. So Im checking out some appraisers. Im going to a trusted body guy tomorrow morning. He is making a special trip in on sat to check on my car. I just want his opinion and maybe a quick estimate.

Im just still bummed by the whole thing. It still had original paint on it...

Rhino: I was the last car in the line... The lady behind me just stopped. If I would have started moving like 5 seconds later, I would have had room to stop her. Im totally beating myself up right now...so many things could have happened to avoid the situation.

Originally Posted by andrew69_04
If they do total it just buy it back from insurance. If they do total it and you let them have it let me know when they take it.....i'll buy it off the insureance company!!
If they want to total it...Im going to fix her myself. Or have a shop do some of it. I have a buddy that is pretty good with paint. Did his bike in black (base clear). came out awesome. So your outta luck on buyin her... Im goin to the grave in this car one way or the other.

Thanks again guys for the comments. It made the hour drive home this morning (had to wait for the sun because all my lights are destroyed). So atleast the expensive parts are still working. haha.

It really makes me feel better to hear you guys saying it looks fixable. I know its hard to judge by looking at the pics...but it still kind of eases my mind a bit.

J.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

That totally sucks! Your project is one of my favorites on the board

Don't give up on her! It ain't broke until you can't fix it anymore!!
Old 08-17-2007, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Just read about the steering wheel being off....I had an accident in my 91 Camaro in high school (many moons ago) and the K got tweaked pretty seriously. It was fixable, but before that the steering wheel was cocked halfway to one side and the car would pull the opposite direction. After correcting and welding the busted K and an alignment, I was back on track.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would hate to see that beauty disappear.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Start lookinf for a donor right away. It way take some time, but it will be the cheapest/easist solution. THat way, you have all the brackets and whatnot, and if you do need suspension parts, you have them as well. Maybe you can find one that has been rear ended cheap? Plus, when you are done, you can sell off whatever is left of the donor to recoup some cost and save a few more cars!
Old 08-17-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah if I do the work myself...or even if I have a shop do it, Im doing a donor car. I always preach that for engine swaps...so I think it will be better for this sort of thing too. Easier to find straight parts that way too.

J.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

thats definitly fixable though. If you saw some of the salvage cars i buy and fix your car would be a piece of cake. The way i look at it is insurance will pay for it so put on new parts and maybe upgrade your appearance while your at it. If you have a buddy that does paint have him give you a high estimate then you have extra $$ to play with on your car. maybe thats the wrong thing to do but who ever said this world isnt a crooked place?
Old 08-17-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, kelly blue book puts my car right around 3k for value. And if there is anything more than 1500 worth of damage, which I think there is, they will probably total it. So I really need to get it appraised. If I can get it appraised for a good amount, then it wont be a problem. Ill let the body shop do it all...maybe source the parts for them or something. I dont have a problem putting new panels on, just nervous about straightening things that are tweaked.

Im getting some estimates tomorrow...see what the body guys think. Ill probably have to lift the hood, so maybe ill shoot some pics and get a better look at the chassis horns and all.

J.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:31 PM
11 Second Club

Damn...sorry for the missfortune. i was just admiring the car this past tuesday here at the shop...sucks. goodluck with everything.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yup..it was literally 30 minutes after I picked her up. Shook Matts hand, swapped my MAF in the parking lot, 30 minutes later...bam. That reminds me...I wanted to shoot Matt a pic since I told him Ide be back for the rest of the tune soon. Not gonna happen anytime soon now.

J.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:59 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

Wow, I'm sorry to see that happen to such a nice looking car. But it is totally fixable and you shouldn't have to worry about that at all.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 08-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Damn that really sucks, hopefully you get everything worked out. Really nice car to begin with.

Quick Reply: Wrecked my baby....