Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 GTO Motor and 6spd in 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 04 GTO Motor and 6spd in 69 Camaro

What are the problems in doing this.. As opposed to using a 4th gen Camaro motor..

I guess the differences in the front accessories would be the question??
Thanks
Old 08-23-2007, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

I think the accessory mounting should be about the same (if not the same?) as the F-Body. You would need to change to the rear sump F-Body pan, however, as the GTO uses a front-sump.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

isn't the GTO more like the Vette in spacing from the block ? or CTS-V ? F-Body is space out a bit more 3/4" I think?
Old 08-23-2007, 04:34 PM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Accessories are placed identically to the f-body, however the alternator, PS pump and compressor are all different. They are at the same depth as the f-body. The bad thing about the GTO parts is that they cost a fortune relative to f-body, but if they go you should be able to just swap to the cheap f-body equivalent part. The front sump pan will have to go for a first gen Camaro. You'd need the oil pickup for an f-body, as well.

The plumbing to the slave cylinder in the trans is a bit different from the f-body, but it may work with the f-body master. You could swap out the slave to f-body, though; the only difference between the two is the line that goes to the master. The actual slave is is the same. Most GTO people buy an f-body slave and swap the little metal line off the old slave when they replace the slave anyway, since the f-body part is about half the price. The shifter that comes on the GTO trans would be bad in a first gen, too, since it puts the handle about 3-4" farther back than the f-body stuff. You should be able to put an aftermarket shifter from an f-body on it though. The stock shifter on the GTO isn't that great anyway.

I have a GTO and a '68 Camaro with LS7 power, so I'm familiar with a lot of the GM parts involved with this swap. The Camaro doesn't have the stock subframe, so my swap is different than most. However, I do know the GTO well. I just spent a couple hours under there this morning.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chris442
Accessories are placed identically to the f-body, however the alternator, PS pump and compressor are all different. They are at the same depth as the f-body. The bad thing about the GTO parts is that they cost a fortune relative to f-body, but if they go you should be able to just swap to the cheap f-body equivalent part. The front sump pan will have to go for a first gen Camaro. You'd need the oil pickup for an f-body, as well.

The plumbing to the slave cylinder in the trans is a bit different from the f-body, but it may work with the f-body master. You could swap out the slave to f-body, though; the only difference between the two is the line that goes to the master. The actual slave is is the same. Most GTO people buy an f-body slave and swap the little metal line off the old slave when they replace the slave anyway, since the f-body part is about half the price. The shifter that comes on the GTO trans would be bad in a first gen, too, since it puts the handle about 3-4" farther back than the f-body stuff. You should be able to put an aftermarket shifter from an f-body on it though. The stock shifter on the GTO isn't that great anyway.

I have a GTO and a '68 Camaro with LS7 power, so I'm familiar with a lot of the GM parts involved with this swap. The Camaro doesn't have the stock subframe, so my swap is different than most. However, I do know the GTO well. I just spent a couple hours under there this morning.
Will a F-body shifter bolt right up to a GTO trans with no modification?
I'm also putting a GTO T56 in my '67 and I'd like to use a F-body shifter
Old 06-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

The f body shifter will not work with out some modification. I used the gmm ripshifter and turned the handle 180 degrees and works great.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:09 AM
Needs to finish car

Originally Posted by DGGM WX3
The F-body trans for all intents and purposes is externally identical to the GTO trans, with the exception of the actual shifter. They can be swapped from trans to trans with no problem.

Originally Posted by mjls1
The f body shifter will not work with out some modification. I used the gmm ripshifter and turned the handle 180 degrees and works great.
I've got the GMM on my goat, and the base is near identical to the Pro 5.0 F-body shifter that's in the '68. The stick is the major difference. I'm guessing you had to flip the stick around to locate it near the original location.

In the '68 we were able to use the F-body shifter using a stick the was straight, but angled slightly towards the driver. The major change was that the console had to be moved back 3-4" to make the stick come out of the hole. The shift ball is in a bout the same location as the original ball would have been, as the stock stick was curved towards the back of the car. To the untrained eye it looks completely stock.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chris442
In the '68 we were able to use the F-body shifter using a stick the was straight, but angled slightly towards the driver. The major change was that the console had to be moved back 3-4" to make the stick come out of the hole. The shift ball is in a bout the same location as the original ball would have been, as the stock stick was curved towards the back of the car. To the untrained eye it looks completely stock.
do you have a pic of that set up showing rough shifter location inside the car?
Old 06-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Needs to finish car

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35.../Camaropg2.jpg

That should give you some idea of where it ended up. It falls right into my hand, but I'm reasonably tall at 6'1". Those seats have extenders under them, so they are about 2" farther back than they'd go stock, FYI.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=Chris442;11769552]The F-body trans for all intents and purposes is externally identical to the GTO trans, with the exception of the actual shifter. "They can be swapped from trans to trans with no problem."

This is incorrect! The shifter "ball" location on a gto is slightly differerent from the f body. How do I now? Because I got bad information years ago and was told that a f body shifter would bolt up. The f body shifter will work, but you will have to elongate the base holes on the shifter to get the "ball" of the shifter to line up or change the ball cup.

I did not have to move the console in my 71. using the gto gmm ripshift shifter.

Last edited by mjls1; 06-19-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DGGM WX3

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...to-f-body.html

Used the gto trans and motor in my 72 nova and I had to change this pc.( see link above)You can pick up a used one for $15.Search under my name got mine from a shop in texas.I'm in phoenix if you want to stop by and check out the shifter location.I'm 6' and I think the shifter location is perfect.I keep all the gto accessories,had to put a small notch in the frame to clear the alt.But I have the motor back pretty far and as low as I could get it.I used all the gto hydraulics and wiring. 04 GTO Motor and 6spd in 69 Camaro-img_1466.jpg
04 GTO Motor and 6spd in 69 Camaro-img_1468.jpg

Last edited by Smo's04Gto; 06-18-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info guys, now to find the F-body piece. I should have my swap drivable by the end of the summer.

<---excited!
Old 07-02-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've found plenty of good info for swapping the shifter cup... but not where to buy the f-body cup. Anyone know of a good source other than a dealer?
Old 07-05-2009, 01:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rotor vs. piston
I've found plenty of good info for swapping the shifter cup... but not where to buy the f-body cup. Anyone know of a good source other than a dealer?
if you already have the GTO piece, call up RPM transmissions and see if they'd be willing to swap an F-body one with you

Quick Reply: 04 GTO Motor and 6spd in 69 Camaro