Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 going in, but which one?

Old 08-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p38A Range Rover swap.

I'm starting the planning stages of a swap into my '95 Range rover, LS with 4L60E trans, not sure about the transfer case just yet -the RR is passenger drop on front AND rear pumpkins...

I'm thinking about using a pullout from a silverado, but do I want the 4.8L, 5.3, 5.7 or 6.0?

I want my cake and eat it too of course, I want good milage with the power (the rover engine has neither...16mpg and 188hp..) I think the 6L is too much for what I need, plus thirsty from what I understand. I assume the 4.8 would be the most economical, but will it be a good trade to move up for a little worse milage?

Getting it in shouldn't be a problem, others have done it, getting the GM ECM to work with all the rover electrickery will be the bane of my existence. I've spent a good bit of time in the FAQ section looking at wiring.

My current engine is starting to drink like Norm so my timeline is shortening.
This should be less expensive, building a Rover engine to 250hp costs about 7k the best I can figure, and I'd still have a Rover engine....

I'm thinking outloud right now, no solid decisions made so any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis

Last edited by shupack; 01-22-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

I personally have been using the 5.3's in my swaps. They are reasonably cheap and still have decent power. I am using one in my 4runner swap. It should still have about the same mileage it did stock (14mpg but I am not using overdrive) and about 3 times the power it had. I also have a 5.3 in my blazer but will be removing it for a supercharged 370 or 408.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

The 5.3L seems to be the most common engine available and a good compromise between power and fuel economy.

Figure how much power you want. The 5.7 puts out an easy 300+HP stock and with stock bolt on's from the LS6, 400+ HP is possible.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by enganeer
The 5.3L seems to be the most common engine available ....
No kidding, there's 14 in my area for $800 each...

I appreciate the advice, I'll have some time off so I'm going to go visit those yards and see about a complete pull-out.

I think 300hp will be plenty, I wouldn't mind having a grand, but doubt the rover could handle it.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

I would go with the 5.3 over the 4.8. Same bore, but with the same stroke as the 5.7/6.0 engines. I'm currently building one and it's gonna get a turbo at some point when funds are back in the black. The 6.0 is a relatively thirsty engine, but capable of huge HP. The 5.7 (LS1) is all aluminum and will probably give you the best of both worlds. BUT, it is the most expensive of the bunch and can be a PITA to bore since it needs resleeving.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:57 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would go with the 5.3L. They are easy to find, good fuel mileage, and decent power.

When I had my stock 5.3L dynoed in my El Camino with 125thousand on it I was getting 250hp at the wheels. A cam, headers and tune should get it to 300hp, maybe you would even make it with headers and a tune.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:01 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by shupack
No kidding, there's 14 in my area for $800 each...

I appreciate the advice, I'll have some time off so I'm going to go visit those yards and see about a complete pull-out.

I think 300hp will be plenty, I wouldn't mind having a grand, but doubt the rover could handle it.

engine, trans and pcm for 800????

Maybe I should look into putting a 5.3 in my ram, the 318 is getting tired and the 46re trans is a POS. I would have to figure how to adapt a gm trans to the dodge transfer case. hmmm.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Checkmate
engine, trans and pcm for 800????

sorry, $800 for the engine, dont' know if it includes PCM, but probably. none of the websites listed a full pull-out.

check out Advanced Adaptors, they may have what you need for the TC, or go with an atlast TC, they have one version that's ready to bolt up to the 4L60E, and you can chose your ratio...

Looks like 5.3 it is, unless I can find a steal on a 5.7, I doubt I'd be boring either out. an aluminum block would be nice for a little weight savings, but the RR weighs in at 5600lbs, it's never going 11 seconds (that'd be pretty cool though, but not worth the cash.)
Old 08-28-2007, 10:00 AM
Teching In

I've been (trying) to do my homework, and it seems Speartech is the way to go for the wiring harness, it's a '95, in NE so I don't think I have emissions to worry about (never been tested yet....), so the full harness will get it in and running.

BUT the RR has about 15 computers in it, and they all integrate throught the Body Electrical Controll Module. The ECU feeds the BECM which feeds the dashboard, tach, temp, CEL, batt volts &idiot light, oil light etc..Should it be possible to feed the LS1 PCM outputs direct into the BECM? it will all magically work right? I can only hope they speak the same language, but it is british.

Another idea is setup the LS1 PCM as stand-alone, and leave the RR ECU installed but idle to pickup all the needed signals and feed them to the BECM. I've got a LR diagnostic tool so I can turn off some of the functions, but not sure exactly what is possible. Is that idea feasable, or am I nuts? (I'm not an electrical engineer, but I know a couple..and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.)

I think I can pull the CEL feed from the RR ECU and substitute the LS1 CEL, should just be a binary signal....

Last edited by shupack; 08-28-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Default here we go....

http://rover-renovations.blogspot.com/

Picked up this red rover CHEAP and it's not my DD, so after stripping the engine down (was going to fix/flip it..) the LS1 conversion is beginning.

Search this Thread