Sponsored by:

Calling thirdgen LSx Swap guys

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling thirdgen LSx Swap guys

Hey Everyone.

Managed to score myself a deal on an LS1, so im planning a swap into my iroc.

However, my question i have now is in regards to exhaust (i did a search, and it lead me all over the boards, wasnt thrilled)

I am aware that you can use stock manifolds, or get the Stainless works headers, however, im looking to figure out if anyone has used a different header and modified it to fit?

Patriot LT headers seem rather in expensive, and it wouldnt be the end of the world to cut them up a bit to make them fit.

Could patriot Mid tube headers be made to work?

Any other brand of headers that will work, or need little modification to work, without hitting a $500 price tag?

ALL help GREATLY appreciated.

Sheldon
Old 08-29-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default swap headers

Some members on thirdgen have made their own headers. It looks like a pain to make your own but you would still have $400-500 over hawks stainless headers. I don't have the time or tools to make my own so I'm going with the Hawks. Also, I don't know if custom headers will flow as well as Hawks?
Old 08-29-2007, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

A 4th gen set of headers will run back and outwards, hitting the frame rails, a significant amount of cutting and rewelding would need to be done.

Third gen headers will need the engine block flange cut off and replaced with a LS1 set, and most likely the pipes will need to be cut to fit each cylinder correctly.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks

Answers my question.

Im thinking im capable of making my own headers, we have the tools at school to make them (Mandrel bender, CNC for flanges) only thing i dont have is a way to make collectors
Old 08-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Launching!

If your going to build them, then build longtubes with 1 7/8" primaries and 3" collectors, only way to go IMHO.

Or just make sure the fuel system can handle a 200 shot, and dont worry about the headers.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

haha.

Actually, if i were to do headers, i would do a stepped 1 3/4" - 1 7/8" setup.

Learned how to enhance air flow last year in phyisics, have a general idea of how to create vaccum from flowing air, and in my engineering class, im sure i could design + Fab. up something.

Collector im actually thinking of borrowing the QTP Velocity merge collector, rather simple design, very effective.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

On another note,

other then the general weight, would it be a disadvantage to use thick guage tubing? 12 - 14 guage?
Old 08-29-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no, thicker is better to help with scavaging (sp) and durability..

I think???? someone here used a mustang longtube 1 3/4" for the drivers side with a ls1 flange welded on and made the passanger side from scratch
Old 08-29-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try checking your local parts houses (NAPA or equivalent) for LSx exhaust flanges. I've heard of several people here in the US getting them there for less than $20. If that doesn't work, you can also try mail-order places like Summit - I'd be shocked if they didn't have 'em...

BTW, if you feel like PM'ing me about your stepped header idea, I'd like to hear about it..
Old 08-30-2007, 07:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ill Shoot you a PM soon, ive got a whole thing worked out on paper, really want to see if i can somehow test the theory. though my real only way to know is my equations.

Here is a general run down from a 16 year olds physics book haha.

The exhause gas that flows through the headers are essentially flowing in waves. Just like the movement of sound. The idea is that when the waves are flowing in say the 1 3/4" pipe, they are in a fairly large wave of flow. Lets say for example, there are 4 or 5 kids sliding down a closed water slide. If their all on top of eachother, as soon as they come to a stepped section, the essentially get pulled out to the next size.

When the pulses of exhaust gas are flowing into the stepped section, the waves should essentially pull them selves apart, creating smaller faster waves, and also creating a constant vaccum effect.

I will talk to my physics teacher again about this on tuesday. Through all my equations ive played with. it should work like that. I will try to test my theory with the mini wind tunnel we have at school.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Had some free time @ work yesterday, found this on GMPartsDirect:

GM PART # 12480130 - LS EXHAUST HEADER FLANGE - OUR PRICE: $16.02