Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

s10 advise...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default s10 advise...

I changed directions on an LS project and decided to possibly drop the motor in a 94/95 S10 body I came across. Now I'm hearing horror stories about oil pan issues etc. I'm doing a carbed LS motor and it will primarily be a hot rod. No A/C box, etc, full manual th350, spooled 9", etc, etc. Any good advise out there. Right now the motor has an F-body pan on it.....HELP before I make a mistake!!
Old 09-04-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, yes few swaps (at least that I've seen) are able to use a stock LS oil pan. Most purchase an aftermarket pan or have a stock pan modified. If it is modified it most likely would start out as an F body pan. So you may be in good shape there.

Just need to read up on other people's s-10 swaps. I'm doing an el camino so I cant help you much beyond basic swap facts.

If you dont change the oil pan out then it comes down to cutting up the truck. Which most people dont want to do.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Launching!

yea, I was thinking the f-body pan was the best fit for most things but I was told by a parts source I'd need to do "serious frame mods" for it to fit. Since I'm not going the A/C route, no power steering etc(will have a manual rack) I figured it would be more straight forward........AAARRRRGGHHH!!
Old 09-04-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I havent even looked under the hood of an s-10 so I have no idea how much room there is under there. However I've heard of alot people putting SBC's in those so there must be some room under there. In fact I think there is a company making mounts for exactly what your doing. S&P may, maybe.

EDIT: a quick google search turned this up.

http://s10v8.carshopinc.com/product_...d/74327/LS1S10

http://www.sportmachines.com/history/twinsonoma.php
Old 09-04-2007, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i stuck a sbc 355 into my 1989 s-10 and going to stick an ls2 in a 2dr extreme and everything looks about the same. just need different mounts, a oil pan of course and different headers.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a quick search for S10 Listers

There's dozens on conversations on the oil pan issue.

The easiest solution is to buy an LS2 Vette pan and notch and reinforce the crossmember. Very easy modification if you have a torch/plasma cutter and are good with a welder. It's a minor modification for a good fabricator.

You can also cut and modify a new truck pan. Sometimes these leak though, due to the porosity of the aluminum after welding.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sawsall is very handy for this conversion. It's nothing but minor surgery to put the LS in. The biggest pain was the wiring. But look at the "s10ls1ers" entry here. Good luck.PS. It's a whole lot funner to drive now with the 5.3.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:09 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the f body pan is the worst pan to use...

no wait, the y body "batwing" is...

no wait, its the fbody..
or maybe the batwing...
uum
Old 09-07-2007, 06:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

or maybe the GTO pan would be the worst pan to use

but yeah maybe the batwing

or maybe the Fbody

Well just put it all to rest and use an LS2 pan
Old 09-07-2007, 09:15 AM
Launching!

I went through hell to get a decent F-body pan to use so if I do the S10 I may just replace the crossmember with rectangle tubing and make it work. Otherwise, screw the S10 and I'll continue my 92 Camaro in the LS direction. I just had heartburn tearing my perfect, 1 owner, garage queen Camaro down for this.......
Old 09-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Teching In

use the truck oil pan and notch the frame around it. It sounds worse than it is. Read thru this thread it will answer alot of your questions. have fun and take your time
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/424515-s10-ls1ers.html
Old 09-07-2007, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

While the truck oil pan is possibly easier to fit, without making it shallower (is that a word?) i.e. not so tall; it will hang below the crossmember. And the way it sounds from your first post that it will primarily be a straight line warrior. While the LS2 C6 oil pan will require more mods to fit it will have better oil control. Lets face it the General spent the time and money to make sure their baby was up to roadracing/autox and the like. So I vote for the C6 pan for better oil control, sits above the frame and still holds 5.5 quarts of oil (not positive on the modified truck pan; excludes stock truck pan where the frame was cut to fit).