Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1/LQ9 swap into 96 firehawk

Old 09-14-2007, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS1/LQ9 swap into 96 firehawk

Everything i have found on the net so far leads me to believe that its pretty much a drop in for an LS1 into my car. Well i have some questions for you guys.

1. Seeing how my car is OBD2 does the harness hook right up to...say... a 98 or 99 LS1 and hook up to the LS computer without any problems other than having to change the tach signal?

2. Would i have to get a T56 meant for an LS engine or just a different bellhousing?

3. I am thinking about putting nitrous on the car if i can get ahold of an LQ9 block...are the electronics close enough i could hook my harness up to it with minimal work?
Old 09-14-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

its a completely diff, system. i have done swap to 95 lt1 car, had to use standalone efi ls1 harness, with 6.0 engine, with t56, diff. from lt1 t56
im all for lt1 to ls1 swaps, bit if it were me i would not do it to the firehawk.
the birds may never be made again, let alone a slp firehawk.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats true, the car is a 96 Firehawk M6 with 75000 miles and absolute perfect black leather interior, its car #56 with full slp options and perfect paint....hmmm you have a good point...but i have been through 3 opti's, and a water pump, i cant afford to put anymore opti's on it. i mean **** the first one i put a $250 stock replacement on it, the second time it was a $550 MSD opti, but when my water pump took a crap, dont ask me HOW but it took that brand new, working perfect, $550 optisplat out with it. Decided to bite the bullet and put another stock one on.....Its finally taking a crap on me. I have looked at the LTCC and Delteq setups...but they still use the optical unit, which a grand later, has given me nothing but ****.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

back in the day when i had my lt1 car, i did opti swaps for friends and ppl who did not how to do it, or didnt have tools or wer lazy. i would say i ahve replaced over 30 otpi's. got it less than an hour, to remove and replace.
so i know where u coming from. still though its a firehawk,
but if u decide to go with the ls swap, then a standalone harness with 02' fbody pcm, with obd2 port is available, come with tach signal for automter or
aftermarket tach, fans, etc.
it will be hard to try and splice in existing signals from lt1 to ls1.
easiest route is aftermarket swap harness, come with all stock ls connectors.
need kmember from 98-02 ls1 car with steering rack, ls1 specific t56 with
bellhousing and hydraulics. rear end and tq arm are the same for lt and ls cars, need driveshaft from ls1 m6 car. i used autometer gages for my swaps.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why a driveshaft?

I have a driveshaft in my auto '89 iroc from a 2002 LS1/M6 car.

Search this Thread