Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Cost Alt only Accessory drive?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 12:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Cost Alt only Accessory drive?

Has anyone put together a low cost alt only accessory drive setup, maybe with OEM parts? I am doing some initial research on swapping in an LS1/4L60E into my '64 Impala SS, and I have been searching and searching for a few weeks now.

I did find Car Shop's Alt accessory w/ tensioner, but that's $550 and the cheapest aftermarket setup I've found thus far. It comes with....
Cnc lazer cut from 6061-t6 aluminum
Anodized black pullies and brackets
New visteon 105 amp alternator (case modified for propper clearance)
New gates tensioner with gates belt
New specific length plated hardware custom taylored

I'd love to get it swapped in and get it running without spending too much money. I do want to do it right though, just trying to ride that fine line.....

TIA
Old 09-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

Keep in mind the Carshop only works with a carb. There are a few that have done it with the stock Fbody bracket and alternator with the stock F body tensioner. I am in the process of doing this one as we speak just waiting on the tensioner now.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Just use a F- body setup without the PS pump in the loop and no A/C. Works fine on my T-bucket...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/754761-completed-t-bucket-ls6-combo-inside.html
Old 09-17-2007, 09:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ionize
Just use a F- body setup without the PS pump in the loop and no A/C. Works fine on my T-bucket...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754761

couple quick questions if i may....

are you running the grooved side of the belt down on the smooth pulley between the alt & w/pump? is that ok to do or does it throw the belt at higher rpm???

and do you have a part # for that belt please?

thanks!
Old 09-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Teching In

I just used a couple lengths of steel gas pipe plus some 2 inch flat stock. It's not quite as pretty as one of those drives that costs hundreds of dollars but it's what I used on my 04 ls1 swap which was originally lower driver side switched to the top.

There is zero play and the stock tensioner works as designed.

In the picture you can see the two flat pieces and the one longer length of pipe where it bolts to the block by the throttle body. A short piece of pipe is near the top. Finally a bolt goes through the lower alternator hole into the block. I think the entire assembly (minus belt) cost the same as a case of beer. Later I may grind the ends rounder and get it chromed but for now it works fine.

Of course I had to figure out the belt length but the two belts I ended buying was still hundreds less than the ones I've seen advertised.
Attached Thumbnails Low Cost Alt only Accessory drive?-engineframeside.jpg   Low Cost Alt only Accessory drive?-enginetop.jpg  
Old 09-18-2007, 08:14 AM
Teching In

i used that same drive kit from car shop inc. on my sonoma ls1 swap and its still fuel injected and it works fine...
Old 09-19-2007, 07:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by V8sonoma
i used that same drive kit from car shop inc. on my sonoma ls1 swap and its still fuel injected and it works fine...

Do you have the DBW, I guess I should have mentioned that as well.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nova65ss
Do you have the DBW, I guess I should have mentioned that as well.

i guess ur talking about the Drive by wire.... no i do not.... i got just a plain jane ls1 throttle body.... no problems what so ever excpet the plug for the alt. they send with the kit is different from the ls1's plug so you have to do a little bit of wiring...
Old 09-26-2007, 11:23 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Our unit works with fuel injected non DBW throttle bodies. If you are running cruise control you may need to grind the alternator case a bit for the cable clearance.

Last edited by Carshopinc.com; 10-01-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Carshopinc.com
Our unit works with fuel injected non DBW throttle bodies. If you are running cruise control you may need to grind the alternator case a bit for the cable clearance.
What is the difference between an 02 Camaro waterpump and 04 GTO water pump, Also what about usage of aftermarket crankshaft underdrive pulleys. What about the kit without the Alternator, will the stock alternator work? If in a couple of years the Alternator craps out do I have to by another from you?
Old 09-28-2007, 11:14 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I have had customers buy my kit and use them on the 04 engines, The crank pullies all line up and the water pump works. They just can't be used on motors with the dbw tb's as the alternator and tb share the same space.
I do not offer one for use with the stock alternator at this time, but I assure you that you can purchase the alternators from a local parts store if you ever need a replacement. The back of the case will need to be ground down for clearance and this can be accomplished with a hand sander or you can send it to me and I will do it free of charge (if you pay shipping).
If you use a underdrive pulley you will have to just figure out the new belt length.
Let me know if I can help in any way and thanks again.
Carshopinc.com
Old 09-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Old 09-28-2007, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

Old 10-01-2007, 11:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The belt is not the correct width for that application and I assume no ac in your swap?

Last edited by Carshopinc.com; 10-01-2007 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

user name badmire on here just made some brackets for his car that mounts the alt down low on the driver side and gets rid of everything else. uses EWP, might contact him for some info.

Quick Reply: Low Cost Alt only Accessory drive?