Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

58 Apache 5.3 4L60e on the road

Old 09-26-2007, 08:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 58 Apache 5.3 4L60e on the road

My 58 Chevy Apache is on the road and running sweet. Special thanks to John at Speartech; at my photobucket see 2 new pics. Truck has MII front and 4 link rear 9" Currie rear w/ 3.25. Drive by wire. Working on Hot Rod Air hook up. This thing just rolls.

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n..._chevy_apache/
Old 09-26-2007, 08:22 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice!
Old 09-26-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

Looks really good!
What headers are you using?
I have a 56 as well and don't want to have to go custom.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Hello Brent, S&P "tight tuck" headers. The 5.3 is from an '05 Avalanche; the stock headers almost fit but I would have had to notch the upper frame rail. So I spent the $, after I saved for a while. I have an Ididit column, my Borgeson joint linkage clears the headers well. Have you thought about your steering solution? Whatever you do (opinion light on here)make sure that your headers fit between the rails AND allow for your steering hookup. Good luck w/ your '56. David
Old 03-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Teching In

I have a 1959, Fatman's MII, 5.3 and 4L60E. All in pieces now, still taking crossmembers of the frame. I may ask you some ??? if you have time. First one might be what 4-link you used. 2nd might be what master cylinder you used. I am thinking of making my own, but if I decide against that, TCI Fatbar is next...
Old 03-28-2009, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty cool...
Old 03-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by R-Bo
I have a 1959, Fatman's MII, 5.3 and 4L60E. All in pieces now, still taking crossmembers of the frame. I may ask you some ??? if you have time. First one might be what 4-link you used. 2nd might be what master cylinder you used. I am thinking of making my own, but if I decide against that, TCI Fatbar is next...
R-Bo,

Happy to answer any questons. Sounds like you are well into the project. Mine was a 4-5 year effort, but probably could have finished it sooner with more time and money. Bit-by-bit, however I got her together. And, man, does she drive nice! I used a TCI 4 bar and currie Ford 9", 3.25 rear, also from TCI. Good folks to do business with. Master C from Brothers, easy install, good clearance.

Drove her out to Alamosa, Colorado on road trip 4K mi. This summer I'll be at Goodguys Nashville, and then Columbus. After that, Syracuse Nationals, and then Carlisle Truck Nationals as an invited truck. If I'm not out of $ by then, Goodguys Pocono. Working on a book about hot rodding, interviewing folks. Let me know if I can provide any specific info re your build. Happy to help out, David
Old 03-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Teching In

David,
Thanks for the info. Not getting to Charotte to any of the shows?

I have ran into another guy putting an LS series into the Task Force truck, over on www.stovebolt.com. Don't know if you have ever been over there or not, but they have a lot of folks interested in pre-73 Chevy trucks. More of the Advanced Design (and some Art Deco) trucks than Task Force, but also some 60's trucks as well, so really any old Chevy truck. But didn't know if you had run into those folks.

This is my first build. At first I was just going to get it on the road, but the more I took it apart, the more I took it apart. Only thing not in pieces now is the cab, which still has the doors, glass, and under the dash in it. I have patch pieces for it to do toe boards, cab corners, and door hinge pockets. I have only been working on mine for about a year. As soon as I get parts for custom 4-link and gas tank, then she is starting to be put back together instead of taken apart.

Thanks again.

P.S. Mine is also a short bed Fleetside, and mine is a big window. Yours is very nice. How did you do interior? I want mine to look like an old truck but go like a new one...so original steering wheel, bench seat, steel rims for me...

Last edited by R-Bo; 03-28-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:22 AM
Teching In

R-Bo, Last night I posted some additional photos at the Photobucket site. I'll look at the stovebolt site, thanks. My '58 is a longbed fleet, w/ small window. I did one cab corner and replaced rear corner liners and hinge pockets. So I know what you mean when you say you just kept taking it apart. But it's the right way to do it. Interior - seats (full power everything) are leather from an 03 Silverado, Ididit column, hot rod doors (black plastic like they come), power windows w/ 1 piece glass. Hot Rod Air, Rosta cruise control. Nothing over the top, just functional and comfortable. Designed for cross country trips. The book project I am working on is a 4-year project, in 2010 I plan to visit w/ LA builders then up to WA, and back to upstate NY. 2011 to the South and SE.

I had originally intended to restore her, put in a sbc, etc. Then things grew from there. I have to tell you that she turned out to be a great driver. And I am getting 22-24 mpg at cruzing speed +. So, for me, she does what she needs to do. And she is vin Z, so flex fuel engine. On the outside, I shaved off the hood ornament and put in a roll pan in the back. That's it. These old girls are beautiful old metal; I'm glad that you are bringing another back to the road.

p.s., Re the book I am working on see my website:

www.drivewhatyoubuild.com

My best regards, David

Originally Posted by R-Bo
David,
Thanks for the info. Not getting to Charotte to any of the shows?

I have ran into another guy putting an LS series into the Task Force truck, over on www.stovebolt.com. Don't know if you have ever been over there or not, but they have a lot of folks interested in pre-73 Chevy trucks. More of the Advanced Design (and some Art Deco) trucks than Task Force, but also some 60's trucks as well, so really any old Chevy truck. But didn't know if you had run into those folks.

This is my first build. At first I was just going to get it on the road, but the more I took it apart, the more I took it apart. Only thing not in pieces now is the cab, which still has the doors, glass, and under the dash in it. I have patch pieces for it to do toe boards, cab corners, and door hinge pockets. I have only been working on mine for about a year. As soon as I get parts for custom 4-link and gas tank, then she is starting to be put back together instead of taken apart.

Thanks again.

P.S. Mine is also a short bed Fleetside, and mine is a big window. Yours is very nice. How did you do interior? I want mine to look like an old truck but go like a new one...so original steering wheel, bench seat, steel rims for me...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 58 Apache 5.3 4L60e on the road