Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 RX-7 future swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 87 RX-7 future swap

Just checking in to say hello. Have always loved looking through this part of the fourm at all the different swaps. My brother just picked up an 87 RX-7 for $400 with plans to swap in an LS1 and a T56, so I'm sure you'll see more of me in here once he starts. I'd love to one day do a swap of my own into a 68-69 Chevelle, but we will see how this one goes first. And I've got a lot I'd like to do to my Camaro first, but I can dream I guess.

Anyway I've looked over a lot of the swaps and websites and there is a ton of great info. Sure I'll be back with pics and questions eventually, but thats all for now.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:33 PM
11 Second Club

Did think of one question. Do most FC swaps go with an aluminum block or iron. I had read that swapping to an aluminum block only adds 100 pounds over the weight of the rotary and turbo, but how much more would an iron add. His is a non-turbo anyway. Just wondering since it seems like a 5.3 or a 6.0 truck motor would be a little cheaper and easier to come across.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by green28
Did think of one question. Do most FC swaps go with an aluminum block or iron. I had read that swapping to an aluminum block only adds 100 pounds over the weight of the rotary and turbo, but how much more would an iron add. His is a non-turbo anyway. Just wondering since it seems like a 5.3 or a 6.0 truck motor would be a little cheaper and easier to come across.
There are lots of both around. You'll have so much power either way - it doesn't really matter. It seems like people just give those truck motors away these days.

If you buy the truck motor you will need to replace the accessories and intake with F-body parts - the truck parts won't fit under the hood.

Take a look here for all your V8 RX7 swap questions.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

yeah check out that website not sure on the weight but with the power increase at this point i could care less the 5.3 is goin in hopefully in a couple weeks. lacking only the mount kit and radiator. good luck with the swap and i totally get u with having two ls1's in the family and trying to finish them both.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:39 AM
Teching In

is he wanting a drag car? then it doesnt really matter, but if he wants to keep the nibble handling of it then aluminum block for its weight
Old 09-27-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WeeWolf
yeah check out that website not sure on the weight but with the power increase at this point i could care less the 5.3 is goin in hopefully in a couple weeks. lacking only the mount kit and radiator. good luck with the swap and i totally get u with having two ls1's in the family and trying to finish them both.
Let me know if you are interested in a mount kit and radiator. I have both new in box (from Grannies) I will let go really reasonable. PM me if you are interested.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

awesome, congrats on the new project!
LS1FCs are a HELL of a lot of fun.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by owen v8litew8
awesome, congrats on the new project!
LS1FCs are a HELL of a lot of fun.
yes they are.i switched from an old school 355 to a ls1 and still have no regrets
Old 09-28-2007, 11:33 PM
Teching In

hello im green28s brother, i just picked up my first rx-7 my current plans are for a stock ls1 and t56 swap at first i wanted to get a mild cam kit but now that i think about it it would be better to put that money in a 5 lug conversion i dont really wanna find the breaking point for the 4 lug set up
i plan u use the car for a DD in summer hopefully i can post pics soon

and owen thank for putting that website together it motivating to see that many clean ls1 fc swaps
Old 09-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Here it is. Car is pretty clean far a 20 year old car, only a small dent in the front left fender.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

oh nice!
congrats on the FC and it looks pretty damn good. has the ugly red interior but hey who cares, you can find a interior donor at some other time, thats what I did when my FCs gray/blue interior was getting old on me.
if you can find an iron block for cheap go for it but you need to swap over to Fbody accessories and oilpan/tay/etc so it can be costly to make it all work for final fitment.
but the 5.3 has been used by a few guys and is definitely a good setup.
I think the a nice condition, '99 LS1 T56 is the way to go.

the 5lug is a good idea but hard to put together for cheap without a donor car locally, usually, so keep that on the backburner I would say... until you need wide wheels (5lug is a plus to find ones for cheap.. mustang wheels, etc) and want better brakes.

some cars have vented rear rotors too, not a major issue but if you ever plan to roadcourse the car then the vented rear rotors last a lot longer under that extreme high heat type of use.

good luck!
Old 10-01-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

Clean looking FC, I regret not buying the one I had a chance to, bout that same condition for 400, stupid move. Anyway, if you want to change interior colors and cant find a donor car you could try SEM color coat spray dye. Im using it on my monte's interior and its great stuff.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Teching In

tommorow i am finally ready to pull the 13b i havent had a day off work since i bought the car so i only had less then 2 hours a day to work on the car
i was wondering if any one had any tips / pointers on engine bay clean up and removal
of the tranny humps

Quick Reply: 87 RX-7 future swap