Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You want GM cruise control on your cable driven TB

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Klimaxx
i'll look tonight i think i wrote it all down, but all i did was use an ohm meter to figure out what button did what.. it was the easiest way.
that would be awesome I REALLY appreciate it.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

also how did you mount the one for the vette.. it looks like my 69 probably screws on but the one for the vette doesn't... Thanks in advance
Old 09-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2165 Turbo Rail
also how did you mount the one for the vette.. it looks like my 69 probably screws on but the one for the vette doesn't... Thanks in advance
i used a 70 chevelle rod (same flat screw on end as my camaro) I cut it off with about 3/4" of arm left on it. (total length about 2 inches)
the corvette arm is a hollow tube with a splined ":nub" pressed into the end of the tube that is the arm's mount... I pulled out the press fit spline and cut it off about 1/2" from where it was pressed into the tube. I ground a bevel on both parts and welded them together.
to re-assemble I put some JB weld on the splines (probibly didnt need to but safe than sorry) and pressed them back into the corvette tube, and then covered that section with some black heat shrink tubing.

it sounds harder than it was
Old 09-28-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Klimaxx
i used a 70 chevelle rod (same flat screw on end as my camaro) I cut it off with about 3/4" of arm left on it. (total length about 2 inches)
the corvette arm is a hollow tube with a splined ":nub" pressed into the end of the tube that is the arm's mount... I pulled out the press fit spline and cut it off about 1/2" from where it was pressed into the tube. I ground a bevel on both parts and welded them together.
to re-assemble I put some JB weld on the splines (probibly didnt need to but safe than sorry) and pressed them back into the corvette tube, and then covered that section with some black heat shrink tubing.

it sounds harder than it was
man you are a HUGE help.. I'd love to see pics of your car if you are willing to share... my email is ChrisWmos@aol.com
Old 09-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2165 Turbo Rail
man you are a HUGE help.. I'd love to see pics of your car if you are willing to share... my email is ChrisWmos@aol.com
glad to help.. my build is here.. If I have or can take of pic of somthing else to help out, just let me know!
Old 10-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Finishing up the wiring for my LSx-T56 powered BMW M3, all that is left is the cruise control wiring for the pedals and control-stalk. The pedal switches had spun me out due to the 2 separate brake switches and 2 separate clutch switches. A few hours of research here and other sites, ChevyThunders manual that came with my harness/PCM, I am pretty sure I have finally figured out the pedal switch wiring and want to run it by you guys before I commit to final connections in the car. Your input on whether this is correct or incorrect would be greatly appreciated.

PCM and harness were purchased from Leonard, (ChevyThunder). Harness was built for cruise and ahs the cruise module connector and pig tails labeled for the pedal switches and control stalk. PCM is a 411 out of a ‘02 Avalanche, mechanical Throttle body, (have made connection with my HPT to the PCM).

Wire pigtail for pedal switches are labeled as follows;
Clutch Pedal Position
To Stop Lamp
Clutch Anticipate
Cruise Release Brake Sw.

My understanding of the pedal switch wires;
1) The “Cruise Release Brk Sw” and “Clutch Pedal Position” wires are wired in series and come from a switched +12v source. When either the clutch pedal or brake pedal are tickled, (starting to depress either of them), that opens the circuit and the cruise control releases the T/B.

2) The “To Stop Lamp” wires needs to be spliced into the bulb side of the brake lights switch so that it can sense the resistance of the light bulbs when the brake pedal is released to verify the circuit is good, then sees the power to the bulbs when the pedal is depressed.

3) The "Clutch Anticipate" switch is another clutch pedal switch that is wired to chassis ground and is normally closed with the clutch pedal released, opens when the clutch pedal is tickled, (starting to depress the pedal). It goes directly to the PCM, Blue Connector, pin 32, does not pass go, does not collect $200. No idea its purpose for the Cruise control other than the PCM wants to know when the clutch is depressed?

Name:  CruisePedalWires.png
Views: 4806
Size:  39.8 KB

Let me know if this correct and/or fill in any holes I may have left.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Launching!

One more question along with my post above.

How is GM illuminating the "CRUISE" light on the cluster when cruise is actually engaged? A feed off the PCM, cruise module?
Old 10-29-2010, 01:17 AM
Launching!

Got the wiring down, using the pedal switches of the BMW and a couple relays was able to mimic the GM brake and clutch pedal switches, now I just want to activate a "CRUISE" light when the cruise is engaged. Does anyone know how the "cruise" light on the dash is activated or a which one of the wires to the cruise control module could be used to activate the cruise light without affecting the cruise functionally?

Thanks in advance,
Paul
Old 04-24-2011, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry if i missed this in my quick skim of this.

I'm using a TKO 500 trans in my swap so my vss signal is not the 4000ppm that a stock trans is, will i still be able to use the cruise control modual that came with my 1999 Silverado parts truck? or will this cause problems for me?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-25-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by El S1 Camino
Sorry if i missed this in my quick skim of this.

I'm using a TKO 500 trans in my swap so my vss signal is not the 4000ppm that a stock trans is, will i still be able to use the cruise control modual that came with my 1999 Silverado parts truck? or will this cause problems for me?

Thanks in advance

Im not too familiar with what that has for an output signal.

what is the output? 2000 ppm?

other options to correct the signal is the Digital Dakota box.
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod&prd126.htm

this might be a good idea anyway since you should feed the pcm a speed signal.

Last edited by 89 formula350; 04-25-2011 at 08:35 AM. Reason: link
Old 04-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 89 formula350
Im not too familiar with what that has for an output signal.

what is the output? 2000 ppm?
the output is 17 pulses per revolution so it will be something like 35000 ppm

do i wire the control box from the computer or from the vss? once i have my computer tuned for the correct output from my trans would this allow it to work correctly?
Old 04-26-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes you can run it off the pcm VSS output. that's how the factory has it. you can see this in the second schematic on the first page. Its how I would do it. but really what ever makes you happy

I would look into the pcm tuning as you can most likely set it up to read with out the converter... In fact the more I think of it Im pretty much positive you can as the f-body one shows where the change is needed

Last edited by 89 formula350; 04-26-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Finally hooked up my cruise on the Firebird today. Using a 4.3 box out of an S10. Anyway, cruise will engage briefly, the accel function works to accelerate for a brief moment but then cruise disengages. Anyone run into this problem?
Old 09-28-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by OldSchoolFormula
Finally hooked up my cruise on the Firebird today. Using a 4.3 box out of an S10. Anyway, cruise will engage briefly, the accel function works to accelerate for a brief moment but then cruise disengages. Anyone run into this problem?
Figured maybe the wheel speed was increasing too fast. Took the car off jackstands and went for a drive. Cruise works.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

i want to use my 2004r trans with my injected lq9 in my 87 buick regal.how do i find the ppm of the stock 4l60 and how do i adapt my 2004r?
Old 10-05-2011, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

anyone?
Old 10-05-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by my406cid
i want to use my 2004r trans with my injected lq9 in my 87 buick regal.how do i find the ppm of the stock 4l60 and how do i adapt my 2004r?
I believe the computer puts out 4k ppm don't know if that will help you or not but that's all I got
Old 10-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Can I make a 00 setup work on a 98 LS
Old 10-18-2011, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Danny Thomas
Can I make a 00 setup work on a 98 LS

if you mean a 2000 f-body cruise module with a 98 f-body pcm then no.. see the original posts. its requires a signal from the pcm that the 98 does not give.

98 f-body cars used a module that did not require this signal (just like the truck unit)

your best bet if this is what your asking is to grab a truck cruise control module. or look for a 98 only f-body cruise module
Old 03-03-2012, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NoRotor88
You, Sir, are an angel sent from above...
Agreed, I used the truck's harness to figure out the pin function but never would have guessed the NO brake wire needed to be pulled to ground without those beautiful diagrams that are usually unobtainable.

Also, if using a relay to get the NC brake signal remember that the coil will be energized when the brake is NOT pressed. My mistake, but hopefully a pointer to others.

Quick Reply: You want GM cruise control on your cable driven TB