Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First long haul.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First long haul.

I finally took my conversion for its first long trip. 500 miles in 8.5 hours from Arkansas to work in New Orleans. I'll be the first to say I had doubts. I even left my motorcycle and trailer at home for the first time. Wasn't sure I wanted to risk a breakdown pulling it. Anyways, no problems whatsover. Ran over 80 most of the time, averaged about 20 miles to the gallon after correcting for speedo error. actually was going ten miles for every 11 indicated, so they must have put wrong gear or tire size in when they programmed my computer. My HPtuner software didn't get home before had to leave, so didn't get to check it. Had some codes for O2 heatersat Auto zone, but I think I just need to power them from somewhere else.Otherwise, best decision I ever made, putting 5.3 into my 96 S10 Blazer. Looking for next project now. Thanks for all the help here. Jim
Old 10-02-2007, 06:09 AM
TECH Regular

I get that kind of MPG in my 4.3L in my 94 Sonoma with 282,000 miles on it!

That's pretty impressive given your average speed.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congratulations. If you're getting HPtuner, would you be interested in doing some tuning on my car?
Old 10-02-2007, 06:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Awesome to hear. Its nice to see someone elses project up and running. I wish I could get 20mpg though. Mine is at best 18 on the highway. I think it is all in the tuning though. But great results. !!
Old 10-02-2007, 07:28 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations!
Old 10-02-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks all. It hasn't been tuned yet. I think it's the gearing thats responsible. It has 3.42 gears, plus it's been lowered, so that helps with the drag. I also put all synthetic fluids in the differential and engine, hopefully the extra cost helps somehow.LS1MCSS, sure, you want to be the guinnie pig??? Just kidding. I was going to ask if you've gotten yours wired back up yet with the EFI. Guess when I get back i'll give you a buzz. Between the two of us, we should be able to figure out how to use it. In the meantime, i'm dodging the NOPD, trying to keep my clean driving record clean.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My wiring is complete. I got my line loc installed last weekend and my fuel pressure regulator came in yesterday. I'll get the fuel system finished this coming weekend and then all I need is a set of 36lb injectors and a VSS.

Quick Reply: First long haul.