Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for ways to build a quiet exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Looking for ways to build a quiet exhaust?

Found this while surfing.....

http://www.norcal-saac.org/ot/soundadvice.htm
Old 10-08-2007, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like that website is advertising for Flowmaster tho
Old 10-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing not mentioned in the article was the number of bends in the pipe. The more bends you have in the exhaust pipe the quieter it will be. So putting in an X-pipe, routing it to the mufflers (I don't necessarily believe they need to be offset, but it probably helps a bit), then routing them over the axle and back down, then angling them towards the rear corners of the car should make it pretty quiet. Putting as many bends as you can will help and it shouldn't hurt the power all that much if you use mandrel bends.

One of the loudest (and most annoying) cars I ever heard was an early RX-7 with a rotary with a straight pipe coming off the headers all the way to the back. No bends at all, just straight. I think the pipe actaully made it louder than just headers alone (probably gave the little motor some extra power too).
Old 10-10-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick Double Nickel
One thing not mentioned in the article was the number of bends in the pipe. The more bends you have in the exhaust pipe the quieter it will be. So putting in an X-pipe, routing it to the mufflers (I don't necessarily believe they need to be offset, but it probably helps a bit), then routing them over the axle and back down, then angling them towards the rear corners of the car should make it pretty quiet. Putting as many bends as you can will help and it shouldn't hurt the power all that much if you use mandrel bends.

exactly what i was gonna say...
plus using some "normal" mufflers doesnt hurt, and for guys that dont run tail pipes - turndowns faced towards eachother slightly reduce the noise(cancels eachother out and they dont deflect diretly off the ground)
Old 10-11-2007, 05:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

its hard to have a freeflowing ex. and quiet too-i had 40's, 3", no x-pipe on my chevelle (489 w/supercharger) it was nasty after a short drive, even with full exhaust system-i switched to 50's (suv style) and added a x-over pipe, made a big improvement, but i could feel the power loss
one thing i wanted to try was some inserts, called car chemistry, they had a couple styles, one went in the collectors, the other i could slip in the tailpipes, pull out when i wanted, but they were pricey-but if they did the job, would have been worth it

Quick Reply: Looking for ways to build a quiet exhaust?