Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Sensors Do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which Sensors Do I need?

I am trying to get the wiring wrapped up on my 67 chevelle swap. I have a couple questions about the sensors:

1. Is it necessary for me to use the factory oil pressure sensor or can I just use that hole for an aftermarket gauge? If so do I need to have that programmed out of the ocmputer?

2. Is it necessary for me to use the stock coolant temperature sensor? or can I just omit it and use a gauge of my own and have it programmed out of the computer as well?
Old 10-09-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

1. You don't need that sender. You can leave it or adapt for another sender.

2. You need the ECT, that is how the computer knows the engine temp. You can add a sender for your gauge on the rear of the passenger head. There is a 12mm plug there, you will need to adapt to the sender you are using for your gauge.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 as 68rsss said.

I redrilled and tapped my 12mm plug to 3/8" NPT for a sender for my Temp Gauge. Was not hard, just work on trying to keep the chips from falling in. I used a lot of grease and did a little at a time. Also used a shop vacuum sucking close to it at the same time.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the info guys. Good thing I held off on buying the oil pressure sensor. Seems as if since my engine was leftover after a warranty replacement the 12mm plug you speak of Bczee is missing but I am sure I can figure something out to make it work. Also I think I put that head on the drivers side oops haha no big deal I will just have to run a bit longer wires for the sensor.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:36 AM
11 Second Club

both heads have the same hole the drivers side is in the front the passengers side is on the rear though. i was thinking the same thing on the oil pressure sensor, but never bothered to ask.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For my oil pressure gauge and idito light, I made a simple adapter from an old LS1 oil sensor unit, since the PCM doesn't use the signal, I broke off the top of the sensor, cleaned it out and tapped to 1/4" NPT for my Chevelle Idiot light sensor.
I use a manual Autometer sender/gauge on the bypass adapter above the oil filter. so I have both a idiot light on the original dash and a Autometer Oil Pressure gauge.

Quick Reply: Which Sensors Do I need?