Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

man, i am about to give up

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 06:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Default man, i am about to give up

sooo many choices, diff motor mounts, diff headers that use diff m/m, some headers hit ears on diff trans, blocks missing trans bolt holes, fi or carb, stand alone wiring harness, wiring harness that operates trans, 4l60e, 4l65e, 4l80e, diff front drive, some work, some dont, oil pans that cost $500+, cable throttle, wire throttle-when i started out, all i wanted to do was have a nice fi engine, od trans, in my 69 chevelle, maybe add a procharger later (why i was buying the corvette acc. drive) i bought a lq4 engine, then as i looked deeper into it, i could have bought another 489 b/b setup much cheaper, i should have bought a complete take out with motor, trans, wiring harness, computer, etc-still would have had header, oil pan issues
i am just about to cut my losses and go back to what i know
in the old days we used to put s/b's in anything, but didnt have computers to deal with
i really need to get my body back off the frame, painted and then the body painted b4 winter hits hard, so i am gonna go back to that and worry about an engine later, but really wanted to get things mocked up first
maybe i will mock up the b/b with 4l80e in place of the lq4 and 4l80e and call it a day-just venting right now, or getting to old to deal with this stuff, i dont know, took my blown 70 chevelle out sat., def was wishing for something quiter to drive, smoother idle
Old 10-15-2007, 07:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Yeah...

I would just sell everything off & buy a nice rocking chair for the front porch.lol
Old 10-15-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Veteran

next to the fridge full of beer-lol
Old 10-15-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, according to "Classic" Gary, its all in your head. It's "easy" and us damn kids should just bitching about nothing....

If you've seen pics of his swap, you'd know why....

Don't give up. The more of us that do these swaps, the bigger data base we'll all have.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

time...patience.....oh yeah and money .dont give up .im doing my project step by step ,and then going back to them sometimes to re do them but at least I did it myself and learned from it . the info and people on this site will get you through it.Ive tried 3 different sets of frame mounts ,2 sets of engine mounts , 3 sets of ex manifolds/headers,ruined a brand new compressor and mounting bracket ,and will have to grind a little off the 4l80 .no real expensive mistakes so far but i know it will all be worth it. JOHN
Old 10-15-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your Right, there are many choices and paths to take. Review some of the swap for your car/truck and decide what you like best based on the pro/con of each path you can take. It starts with the type of Adapter / Mounts and if you want to use OEM equipement or aftermarket stuff.

Yes you would be better off getting a complete pull out with all accessories, wiring, PCM, etc.. that would greatly ease your pain of the swap and would be easier on your buget.

Are you considering the Chevelle for the swap or some other car ? I am sure once you have sat down and talked a few people who have really done the swaps you will be better off. See if you can find someone in the area with a swap done or on-going now.

If you need to PM some of the A-Body guys on this forum.. we will be more than happy to help out with advise and direction. Also, try asking your question in smaller parts, cause it will take forevery to answer a thread on the whole swap in one sitting. Ask general question on specify area or problems. Check out some of the other a-body project sites (see link in my sig).

Good luck,
Old 10-15-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

If it was easy everybody would have one It's a learning experience, kinda like getting a education,might wind up costing just as much too!! LOL
Old 10-15-2007, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by QSPres
Well, according to "Classic" Gary, its all in your head. It's "easy" and us damn kids should just bitching about nothing....

If you've seen pics of his swap, you'd know why....

Don't give up. The more of us that do these swaps, the bigger data base we'll all have.

WTF are you picking on me now? I still say it ain't that hard. Us old guys have been putting small blocks in anything for decades. LSx's ain't that much different. And i'm not done yet so quit pickin' on my swap. And still, (QSPres) no manual trannies in Mass. ? What's up with that ?
Old 10-15-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

Its not hard to hack it all up, you're right... and you're certainly qualified...

Keep going FI, it'll be worth it in the end if you do it correctly.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Veteran

well, i have a game plan right now, i ordered the hooker headers, hooker mount adapter, which will push the motor up a little and back further than my current mounts-i printed out the hooker mount instructions and could see in the pic the diff.(not sure how thats gonna affect my 4l80e, its close now, but a 4l65e is an option, but a more exp. one)
i ordered the cts pan, which has a new part #, and cheaper, $160, still waiting on the vette front accs drive to see if it clears the power steering box(69 chevelle)-(glad i have a buddy in the parts dept.)
should have the headers tomorrow, i'll mount them up and see how they fit, then trial fit the oil pan-if its close, i'll cut and weld the x member a little, fab a brace if i have to-that should put me back on track for yanking the frame out to sand blast and paint, then on to the body & paint, still might beat the real winter-prob. run a 4 barrel to start, and a stand alone trans harness also, then after everything is running and the car is done, maybe fi and computer stuff-just trying to bite to much off in a short time, dealing with something (computer crap)
i realize its not hard mounting stuff in, been doing it for 40 years, just thought i could take a little short cut with bolt in's-if you know from the start their are not any, its actually easier because your ready for it-i just like stuff to look like it belongs-heres a pic of my 9 sec procharged 70 chevelle, frame off, built it in 6 months
Attached Thumbnails man, i am about to give up-im000841-2-.jpg  
Old 10-15-2007, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Talking

Can't be any worse than stuffing a LS1 in a Nissan. Actually I thought it was really easy. and this is my first Chevy product.

nothing even made for my car. everything was custom one off part.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:19 PM
Launching!

dont give up. i am just starting my project. ls1 in a 1967 nova ss. if someone can stick in a nissan and make it work , then me and you can too.

Quick Reply: man, i am about to give up