Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in a 72 Grand Prix Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 in a 72 Grand Prix Questions

I readying an LS1 to put in my restored 72 Grand Prix. The motor is from a 98 Corvette. The car has a 700R4, which I plan to keep. I've built/restored several cars, but never worked on a computer controled engine. Anyway, I had to get a cable driven throttle body, flywheel w/adapter, Moroso oil pan, harness, and am using the stock accessories. Will cut the crossmember for the compressor, etc.

My questions are:

This intake does not have an EGR connection as my sources say it should. It does have a hose with a valve connecting the exhaust manifolds. I plan to simply remove the assembly and weld the manifold holes to clean up the engine. Is this acceptable? Why do I not have an EGR connection on the intake manifold?

On the fuel rail, there is a valve connected to the fuel inlet and return line. This valve has a vacuum tube (I assume) that goes toward the throttle body. Where do I connect this line? I don't have any obvious connection locations. I'm not using the stock air cleaner assembly. I'm using two 2" pieces of stainless steel tube to connect a K&N cone filter/MAF/TB.

I also want to the remove the PVC setup by pluging the connections behind the throttle body and installing a breather at the rear driver's side valve cover. There is a hose on the passenger side from the valve cover to the throttle body, so I figure the crankcase will be sufficienly ventillated. Not interested in the oil/water vapor argument. Just wondering if the engine will run/idle OK? Again, I want to clean up the engine.

Fr. Nichols
Old 10-22-2007, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found some answers!

The engine has AIR, not EGR. The vacuum line for the fuel rail connects between the MAF and TB.