Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will wrapping intake pipe w/ header wrap keep it cool?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default will wrapping intake pipe w/ header wrap keep it cool?

im about to start on my cold air intake on my jeep. there will be about 2feet of pipe going to the area that im getting fresh/cold air from. i was thinking that if people use header wrap to keep heat inside the header tubes, can you use it to keep cool air in/hot air out of an intake tube?

the description of this product does not say for use on intake pipes, but it looks like it could do something. maybe this stuff plus header wrap or something? idk just a thought let me know what you guys think

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

also another type of tape i found, description doesnt say to use on intake tubing though

http://www.daymotorsports.com/product/1630/c/S20/
Old 10-22-2007, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when I wrapped mine I noticed a power gain.. the aluminum intake tubing I had would get super hot from the air from electric fan pulling heat from radiator. this is what it looks like now. also once your intake charge is just hot air the air temp sensor i believe will retard your timing.. witch means less power.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Here's a BETTER idea...

Personally, I would NOT use header wrap (at least not the fiberglass type that was on my friend's car). You'll wind up hating it any time you have to work near it. I found a roll of insulating tape at a home-improvement store that's thicker than either of the ones that you linked to. It's a roll of black foam somewhere in the range of 3/64" to 1/8" thick, with an adhesive backing. I used it on my intake pipe (which comes up through the fender tray), & it looks pretty decent. I don't think that it cost very much either, maybe 3 or 4 bucks.
(Just went out to the garage to try & get the name for you, but it looks like I threw away the packaging - sorry...)
Old 10-23-2007, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

I would also advice against header wrap, If i remember correctly header wraps purpose is to keep heat inside the pipe, not to reflect heat away. I would just go with some of that heat reflective tape that jegs sells.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok thanks for the advice guys
Old 10-23-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might even want to just go with silicone tubing instead.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

An insulator is an insulator is an insulator. Anything you wrap around your pipe will help separate the pipe and what's inside it from everything outside the wrap.

I would also advice against header wrap, If i remember correctly header wraps purpose is to keep heat inside the pipe, not to reflect heat away.
It'll work either way. It's not like a diode, or a one way bearing or something like that which allows energy flow in one direction but not the other.

my $.02 try dynamat, but that's probably about the same, and a little more expensive, than what V8Rumble mentioned.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

It will be more inportant to ensure you are getting fresh air from outside the engine compartment than wraping the intake duct. The pic above clearly shows the air filter in the the engine compartment. If you have no choice, at least make sure you partition off the area the filter sits in to ensure it's ONLY getting fresh cool air through the grill.

If you use tape on the duct, use reflective tape designed to keep heat out. Not header wrap designed to keep heat in.

Re'
Old 10-24-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
It will be more inportant to ensure you are getting fresh air from outside the engine compartment than wraping the intake duct. The pic above clearly shows the air filter in the the engine compartment. If you have no choice, at least make sure you partition off the area the filter sits in to ensure it's ONLY getting fresh cool air through the grill.

If you use tape on the duct, use reflective tape designed to keep heat out. Not header wrap designed to keep heat in.

Re'
yea, mine will get fresh air through the "fresh air vent" which is the vented area right infront of a wranglers windshield. i bought some 'frost king' insulation tape

Quick Reply: will wrapping intake pipe w/ header wrap keep it cool?