Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTO oil pan -- Help -- is there an oil-pressure relief valve in it

Old 10-30-2007, 09:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GTO oil pan -- Help -- is there an oil-pressure relief valve in it

Hi Guys:

We're just finishing off a swap of a '99 LS1 & T56 into a 1986 BMW E30 (325). We used a GTO oil pan which we notched-out for clearance. The aft end of the pan on the LH side (driver's) has two M14x1.5 tapped holes. These holes are in the side of the pan just below the oil ports that go up into the block. One hole (the fwd one) had a pipe plug in it. The other hole (the aft one) was empty. We put an M14 pipe plug into that hole.

Question: is there an oil-pressure relief valve in the aft hole? Is just plugging it ok??

See our swap at: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...=699289&page=5

A pic of the pan is at the bottom of the page

Edit:

When we took the Fbody pan off of the engine, it had what appeared to be an oil-control valve of some kind in one of the ports. We sold the pan recently, and it kept me awake last night thinking about the empty hole in our GTO pan. We're getting close to first engine start, and our set-up does not have an oil pressure gauge, only a light in the dash cluster.

Thanks!!

Last edited by Steve VanS; 10-30-2007 at 10:21 AM. Reason: the Fbody pan had what looked like a pressure relief in the same area
Old 10-30-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My GTO pan came off of a junk yard pull out. It had both holes plugged when it came off the engine. I would think you will be fine.

Jack

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GTO oil pan -- Help -- is there an oil-pressure relief valve in it