Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioning Compressor Bracket/Belt Pulleys The Same?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Air Conditioning Compressor Bracket/Belt Pulleys The Same?

For both the Vette & F-Body? I'm converting from Camaro accessories to Vette accessories. Will the Camaro air compressor bracket be out of alignment with the Vette dampner, etc...? Can it be modified? Thanks, Ed
Old 06-16-2003, 03:13 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Air Conditioning Compressor Bracket/Belt Pulleys The Same?

You'll have to get the Vette bracket. There's too much difference to adjust for. It looks like about an inch difference between the two.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 06-16-2003, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John. Where does the 'vette compressor install. I was unable to use the f-body location and was a little leary of using the f-body compressor on my Astro AWD swap so I mounted the Astro compressor down where the f-body had the alternator and figured if the Astro compressor failed for some reason I would install the f-body on a fabricated bracket hence my question. It would be nice to use a stock bracket for mounting.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:45 PM
Teching In

During the install of my 99 F-body LS1 in my 66 Vette I had to move the alt from low to high left so I used the Vette bracket. I had to grind a little off the bracket to get the stock F-body p/s pump to fit. I also had to make a couple small adapters to get the F-body alt to fit the Vette bracket. The F-body crank pulley is .748" farther FORWARD than the Vette pulley so I made a spacer to mount between the head and the bracket. I also moved the a/c compressor from low to high right by using a custom bracket mounting a Sanden compressor rather than the stock one. The whole mess is driven by a single serpentine belt whereas the F-body and Vette both use a separate narrow belt for the a/c compressor. I don't know for sure if the Vette and F-body compressors and mounting brackets are the same but I doubt it because of the difference in the crank pulleys.
Nick
Old 06-16-2003, 07:08 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John. Where does the 'vette compressor install. I was unable to use the f-body location and was a little leary of using the f-body compressor on my Astro AWD swap so I mounted the Astro compressor down where the f-body had the alternator and figured if the Astro compressor failed for some reason I would install the f-body on a fabricated bracket hence my question. It would be nice to use a stock bracket for mounting.

Thanks for the reply.
The Vette compressor is in the same place, it just mounts a little farther back than the F-body compressor, due to the different crank pulley. All of the factory brackets place the A/C compressor in that same area, so if there isn't much room down there, there will be some problems with any of the factory setups.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 06-16-2003, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

LS1GMCTruck -If you are not going to use the camaro alt brakets,please let me know if you'd like to sell them.
Thank you,Joe
Old 06-18-2003, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

So the crank pulley's are different between the two cars. The 'vette being about 3/4" shorter. That being the case, I guess another custom bracket is in order as the 'vette bracket would not allow the compressor pulleys to align.

I built custom brackets for all the accessories. Stock f-body PS pump mounted to passenger side head without the reservoir (a la stock car with remote reservoir). Stock f-body alternator mounted high to driver's head and the Astro compressor mounted low. I constructed the brackets from 6061 aluminum blocks (3" thick). The machine work was done with electric hand tools. I had to use 2 idler pulleys and 1 tension pulley from a 2.2 liter GM. It works well. The only problem was stopping the belt squeal which was solved by the 2.2 tension pulley mounted between the alternator and AC compressor.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning Compressor Bracket/Belt Pulleys The Same?