Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Radiator Help and Info

I am getting quotes on a custom made radiator for my 1947 chevy car. The engine is a 2003 Yukon 5.3/4L60E. The radiator is a downflow design and I was wondering about the steam/vent line, is it ok to put the fitting in the top tank above the hose outlet or ???? I want a nice looking setup as this is going to cost some serious $$$$$$

Popeye

Last edited by popeye; 11-04-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Regular

I would ask the radiator manufacturer if that will work...

I would first look at all the OEM radiators to see if I could get one that was close to the size I needed. I have a 05' GTO radiator that is really close to what my GTO took in 1970..
Old 11-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

The main problem with trying to convert to a crossflow like the later cars is my maxiumn width is 19". Off the shelf radiators are 500.00 and up. They would have to be modified to install the bung and that I would have to do that myself. I was told that the original radiators in the 40's were of a different core design and they would not keep modern engines cool so that keep me from using the original.

I have talked with a couple of different companies about the steam/vent line and they said they would put a 1/4" bung where I want it. This is the problem I have no idea if putting it above or by the top outlet is the proper location.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

Well, sounds to me like you'll be trying it and if it doesn't work, you'll be inserting a plug in the bung and trying another location..

At least you've got the tools to do it yourself.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:13 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would think that the steam line would be better off going into the top tank. Ideally the steam line should go into the highest part of the system (which would be the top tank) and it should also go into the low pressure side. In the case of a downflow radiator you can`t really have both because the high point is on the higher pressure side. As long as the radiator is not very restrictive the water should flow down and the steam line should be able to vent into the top.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Unfortunately most custom radiators will cost more than if you can find an off the shelf size and convert it. I treid looking through my notes on my 67 C10 as to where I got my radiator built for it but couldn't find the info. I do know it cost me close to $650, it also cosisted of an elctric fan w/mounting, auto trans setup and a bung added into the radiator for a electric fan setup. I have tried multiple different elctric fan setups with these adjustable swtiches etc but they never last. My radiator has been in the 67 for 5 years and not one bit of issue, it is supporting a 500+HP 427 SBC.

As to the steam vent there are several articles and write up through the threads here on LS1Tech, do a search for steam, steam vent etc. I ran across this a while back and decided I was going to route mine into the water pump, after all steam is nothing more than excessive heated water pressue and just needs a place to vent. If you take a hot water kettle and boil water does it make any difference if the spout is pointed up or down for the steam to be able to escape?
Old 11-05-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

My only concern would be it heating up water that was on its way IN to the radiator...
Old 11-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1 Coupe
As to the steam vent there are several articles and write up through the threads here on LS1Tech, do a search for steam, steam vent etc. I ran across this a while back and decided I was going to route mine into the water pump, after all steam is nothing more than excessive heated water pressue and just needs a place to vent. If you take a hot water kettle and boil water does it make any difference if the spout is pointed up or down for the steam to be able to escape?
I have done a search and found several different articles where they put the vent into the waterpump, upper hose and different coolant tanks. I am using a 5.3 Yukon and all accessories and the factory hose outlet is located where they locate the vent line. I would prefer to have a cleaner looking conversion than to put it into the upper hose this is why I was thinking about the upper tank. The coolant overflow tank I would like to use would be about 1 quart capacity its a 2"X15" stainless overflow tank.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

How about a bigger overflow tank? Someone must make one.....
Old 11-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Launching!

I had a custom radiator made by Rodney Red. I put the steam line on the passenger side near the top. This is the same place GM put it on the 07 trucks. The radiator was around $425 shipped to my door for an aluminum radiator with trans cooler, correctly sized hose conections and a steam port where I wanted it. He also included a bracket to mount my LS1 fans.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 76LQ9TA
I had a custom radiator made by Rodney Red. I put the steam line on the passenger side near the top. This is the same place GM put it on the 07 trucks. The radiator was around $425 shipped to my door for an aluminum radiator with trans cooler, correctly sized hose conections and a steam port where I wanted it. He also included a bracket to mount my LS1 fans.
Thanks, I have never heard of them. I will call in the morning.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That tube is called the overflow line. The entire cooling system is pressurized to about 16psi. The cap has the pressure release design built in. Once pressure builds up the cap opens and lets the pressure go into the overflow line and that water goes into the overflow tank. The overflow line is under the water level so when the coolant starts to cool the water will be drawn back into the radiator. That way you won't have to keep adding water.

You'll also need to figure out the highest point in the cooling system and make sure you can bleed that air out. If you have some pictures, I maight be able to suggest something for you.

Also, electric fans from the 97 and older Thunderbird, Cougar, MarkIII are great units. They are a single large fan and pull about 4,000 cfm. Lots of people use them on street rods and hot rods. They are quiet, too.