Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Cooling problem

Have a bit of a problem here, running LT1 radiator, LT1 pressurized overflow that T-s into the radiator hose, and the steam pipe goes to a nipple on the overflow. I also put a moroso filler neck into the upper radiator hose to ease with bleeding and filling of the system. My problem is as follows:

When im driving, everything is cool. if i stand still for a few mins temp starts to slowly climb up. I let it get to lets say 230-ish, and I just rev the motor to ~1600RPM for a few secs, and temperature drops by like 30 degrees. few more minutes, cycle will repeat. If i start driving, its immediately fine. When i cracked open the filler in the upper hose after the car cooled off, the hose is full of antifreeze. both hoses feel hot to the touch when the car is doing this.

waterpump and thermostat are both new. I need some help here, anyone have any ideas?
Old 11-04-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you using a F-Body LT1 rad? If so, it is very similar to the LS1 rad and should have two separate provisions to hook to the expansion tank and steam vent.

How are you filling in the coolant? If not done correctly you will have air trapped in the system. What I did was use the top hose to pour the coolant into the engine. Once it was topped up, I replaced the hose and then filled the radiator.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Schitzo
Are you using a F-Body LT1 rad? If so, it is very similar to the LS1 rad and should have two separate provisions to hook to the expansion tank and steam vent.

How are you filling in the coolant? If not done correctly you will have air trapped in the system. What I did was use the top hose to pour the coolant into the engine. Once it was topped up, I replaced the hose and then filled the radiator.
I am using a B-Body LT1 radiator. It has no provisions for expansion tank or steam vent lines.

I filled the coolant through the moroso filler neck that I've spliced into the upper radiator hose. When the car is cool and I open the cap on it, the upper hose is full with antifreeze to the top...
Old 11-05-2007, 07:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should hook the vent hose to a radiator hose or heater hose, directly into radiator tank, it needs to be in the flow of the coolant. I don't think it can flow correctly when it is trying to fight the overflow part of the system.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steam vent must go into the radiator side of the pressure cap, not on the overflow side!
Old 11-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Launching!

I have pulled the upper hose off the pump today in the mourning, pump is full to the top with antifreeze, and so is the radiator. The vent hose is going to the pressurized tank thats factory on a B-Body, there was recently a conversation about a 'Vette pressurized tank, and I thought it was good to use?
Old 11-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Launching!

took the thermostat out today, its still doing it. Can a water pump be bad new out of the box? or should I get an LS1 radiator and copy the whole cooling system from like a LS1 camaro? I just dont get it, and have no more ideas really. HELP
Old 11-06-2007, 04:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The steam vent ports on the heads are the high point in the engine, so this is where the air gets trapped. In order to relieve this air it must go to a low pressure point, the top radiator hose has the return( read: low pressure ) water being sucked into the water pump, this in turn helps suck the air/ hot water out of the heads...
Old 11-06-2007, 06:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you still have the vent hose going to the overflow nipple? This will never work, the object of the vent is to remove air from the heads, it can not go against the radiator cap, the overflow side is for pushing "overflow" or drawing it back into the system. The vent needs to be in the normal flow of the closed loop system. If you do, move it to a heater hose or a radiator hose. The B body hose system from an LT1 is a complete pain in the A#$.

Get a simple overflow bottle and hook that up to your radiator overflow nipple. Take the vent pipe and "T" it into a heater hose or radiator hose and the problem is solved. The heater hose is nice because it is easy to hide. I have done this on my Firebird and a 66 Chevelle that I did a LT1 swap in as well. You don't need a new radiator, but copying the simple F car system is the way to go. This link is to Jagsthatrun dot com. This is what you need to buy or make. http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...plice-Kit.html

Quick Reply: Cooling problem