Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 Liter exhaust note and gas question

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 Liter exhaust note and gas question

I'm goin with carb on my 6 Liter and just curious if the exhaust note sounds perty good. I realize that all muffler systems sound different but are they sounding like transams and camaros.

Also what gas is everyone using 93-89-87 Just curious since gas seems like its never gonna go down. I plan on running somewhere around 580 to 610 lift with stock compression and I'm not sure what kinda of fuel I'm gonna need to run.

Thanks, Lee
Old 11-07-2007, 12:13 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I`m running an x-pipe with duals and 40 series flowmasters and I think it sounds OK, well maybe a little loud for my tastes. You might be able to hear it on the videos on my fquick page, the older one is probably better, but I can`t remember if you could hear it or if the mic on the camera was immediately overrun.

As far as fuel I usually run premium. I can put anything in there but the tune was set for premium. It does seem to get better fuel mileage with premium. I don`t know about a stock tune 6.0L but with stock tune 4.8L and 5.3L`s they will actually make up the difference in cost to run midgrade. One of my dads friends told me that when he put midgrade in his silverado that the mileage was so much better that it made up for the cost difference. He said he didn`t notice ad difference between the mid-grade and premium, but between the cheap stuff and mid-grade made a difference. I told that to a few other people that I knew with LSx trucks and after telling me I was high they tried it and said they found it was true.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:11 AM
TECH Regular

All NA V8's sound the same... What is responsible for making sounds is the exhaust pulses and by default, the firing order....

Mufflers and pipe diameter will change everything sound wise....
Old 11-07-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are probably dozens of influences that will impact the exhaust sound.

Length of pipe, diameter of pipe, cam, headers/no headers, FI, Carbed, Blown, type of muffler, size of muffler, size of tailpipes, etc...............

The best suggestion would be to listen to a lot of different systems before making any decision.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

The fuel metering system has no effect on sound, simply the quality of the idle.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by QSPres
The fuel metering system has no effect on sound, simply the quality of the idle.
Which...will affect the sound quality.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

its also all about stroke and cubes...
Old 11-07-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SUPERWAKE502
I'm goin with carb on my 6 Liter and just curious if the exhaust note sounds perty good. I realize that all muffler systems sound different but are they sounding like transams and camaros.

Also what gas is everyone using 93-89-87 Just curious since gas seems like its never gonna go down. I plan on running somewhere around 580 to 610 lift with stock compression and I'm not sure what kinda of fuel I'm gonna need to run.

Thanks, Lee

Lee, the grade of gas will depend on the final compression ratio and the tune. (or in your case, the amount of advance in the spark curve.)
Old 11-07-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by philntx
Which...will affect the sound quality.
No, it won't. Take my race motor. Idled at 1100 rpm with a carb, that was about as low as it would get without stalling. Put EFI on it, idled at 850 rpm.... No difference in sound, just idled lower.

Want it to sound like its got a carb in it? Just step on the gas a bit...
Old 11-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Teching In

put longtubes on it with dynomax bullets and it will sound good, my friend had a carbed lq9 6.o liter with hpe s-cam and it rumbled pretty good with 950 rpm idle and made some noise at open throttle.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

Hey guys, I appreciate all the responses. I figured the 6 Liter would just sound like it was another v-8 but coming from a truck and being carbed I wasn't sure if it would sound weird. I really dont care too much as long as it makes good power and has no problems, you know!!!

As far as fuel, I planned on starting with 89. It has the stock compression (9.2) roughly with a good size cam in it and as long as I set the timing right it sould be ok. I'm gonna try and find a used a/f meter so that I get it righ and dont have any problems.

Thanks again for all the quick responses, Lata.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by QSPres
No, it won't. Take my race motor. Idled at 1100 rpm with a carb, that was about as low as it would get without stalling. Put EFI on it, idled at 850 rpm.... No difference in sound, just idled lower.

Want it to sound like its got a carb in it? Just step on the gas a bit...

As in every post you make, you are always correct
Old 11-07-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for being honest...
Old 11-07-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SUPERWAKE502
Hey guys, I appreciate all the responses. I figured the 6 Liter would just sound like it was another v-8 but coming from a truck and being carbed I wasn't sure if it would sound weird. I really dont care too much as long as it makes good power and has no problems, you know!!!

As far as fuel, I planned on starting with 89. It has the stock compression (9.2) roughly with a good size cam in it and as long as I set the timing right it sould be ok. I'm gonna try and find a used a/f meter so that I get it righ and dont have any problems.

Thanks again for all the quick responses, Lata.

With aftermarket cams, its all about how much cylinder pressure they build. That will determine, in part, how resistant the motor is to detonation. If you have a cam that builds alot more cylinder pressure, the heat in the combustion chamber will be higher, causing quicker ignition. That may cause detonation in some engines.

Just start out slightly fat in your tune and work from there...

But I may be wrong....
Old 11-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 81Z:
01' LQ4 6.0 with milled heads. 9.75:1 comp ratio. Crane 228/232 .600/.600 112 cam. Long tube 1 5/8 headers(I know) to 3" exhaust with dynomax ultraflows and full 3" tails, no crossover(H or X pipe). Edelbrock 7118 carb kit with holley HP750 carb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khCwa6RNZDQ

Quick Reply: 6 Liter exhaust note and gas question