Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shortest water pump ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shortest water pump ?

I have started back on the 30 model and need a shorter than normal water pump for fan cearance problem. At one time I thought there was a pump that the pulley was almost flat and didn't look like a huge black tit. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks woody
Old 11-13-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

The water pump you're thinking of is the LS2 / LS7 water pump. It has a "flat faced" pulley, instead of the LS1's domed pulley.

If that isn't enough, one of the electric pumps (like Meziere) might give you more clearance. But I'm not sure if that's suitable for the vehicle you're building.

'JustDreamin'
Old 11-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Teching In

thanks for the quick reply. do you know if it will line up with the standard camaro crank pulley or do I have to do something else like a vette pulley.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

That's a question I can't answer, I used it with a 'vette setup on my Bravada.

Hopefully somebody else can chime in.

'JustDreamin'
Old 11-13-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the LS2 water pump with the "flat" faced pulley on my 1935 Ford conversion. I had to pull the pulley forward on the water pump shaft so that it would align with all my F-body accessories. It has over 13,000 miles now with no problems, belt life is perfect and no noise......it must be ok.

This picture is of that conversion before I dropped the body on the chassis.
Attached Thumbnails shortest water pump ?-img_0158-small-.jpg  
Old 11-13-2007, 12:01 PM
rao
TECH Resident

^^ That is a great idea - I might have to swap to the LS2 type pump
Old 11-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Launching!

We used the LS2 pump on a LS1 Camaro engine. We bought waterpump spacers from Wegner Automotive (www.wegnerautomotive) PN 1205027. They cut them down to the length we wanted and sold us the pair for $38.00. We spaced the pump out 1/2" to get the Fbody accessory drive to track the belt on the new pulley. If we did it again, we would make the spacer 5/16" thick. We also used a CTS-V belt tensioner with a few washers under it to keep it in line with the belt. All of the other Fbody stuff was kept: A/C condenser, PS pump, Alternator, Crank pulley, Stock belts. We saved about 1.2", and the face of the "new" waterpump pulley is about flush with the face of the crank pulley. We also got an un-used LS2 waterpump from Wegner off of one of their eBay sales for about $85.00 (just lucky on that one)
Old 11-14-2007, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

Anyone have a GM part number for this gem???? My project Vega could use one in the worst way so I have room for a radiator!!!
Let us know!!!
Mike
Old 11-15-2007, 07:14 AM
TECH Resident

According to this post: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....63&postcount=9, the part number is 89017457. However, GM likes to change part numbers about as often as most people change their oil, so, it's likely to be different.

Have a dealer look up a water pump for a C6 vette, get the number, and then try to beat them down on price. For new stuff, P & G Chevrolet in PA (Partszoneonline) and Team Chevrolet in Scottsbluff Nebraska have been good to me (teamchev.com) Both of those had competitive pricing with GMPartsDirect and that's before factorin in GMPD's ridiculous shipping (profit) costs.

You should also shop the For Sale section, there are often ones available from folks on this board. I personally picked up a 0 mile pump off of a LS7 crate for $90 off of Corvette Forum (they went with a Meziere electric from the start).

'JustDreamin'
Old 11-15-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE='JustDreamin'

You should also shop the For Sale section, there are often ones available from folks on this board. I personally picked up a 0 mile pump off of a LS7 crate for $90 off of Corvette Forum (they went with a Meziere electric from the start).

'JustDreamin'[/QUOTE]

The LS2/LS7 water pumps come up from time to time on Ebay too. Similar deal; they're most often new take-offs. I got mine as a new take-off from an Ebay seller which turned out real well as he also had the Vette Dampener and aluminum motor mounts (not listed on auction), so we agreed on a package price.

Andy1
Old 11-25-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

another easy solution, and for peopel searching this topic (know i did about a month ago) , if you can just go vette ls2 accessories/front drive/whatever you want to call it thats about the easiest and shortest length setup you can go.

camaro/gto pullies/accessories are pretty much the same offset

cts-v/vette are all the same IIRC.

if you mix and match between the two you'll throw belts.

Quick Reply: shortest water pump ?