Sponsored by:

ECM question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question ECM question

Hey all,

I'm in the process of trying to prepare for my winter project (LQ9 swap), & since I really want to retain VATS, I've been told that I need to use an F-body ECM. The problem is that I don't know which ECU would be better to use - the site I've been checking lists both of the following as ECM choices for an '00-'02 F-body:

(ECM), (behind right strut tower), 5.7L, ID 9354896
(ECM), (behind right strut tower), 5.7L, ID 12200411

I suspect (based on a post in the ECM/programming forum) that the 2nd one might be the later model but both appear to have been used throughout at least 3 years of LSx F-body production. Both appear to have also been used in a large number of truck/van applications as well..

Does anyone happen to know the differences between the two ECMs/PNs??? Is one preferred over the other??

Thanks for any help you can give...

Last edited by V8Rumble; 11-20-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would contact John at Speartech.. He should be able to answer all your questions and get you going in the right direction. They are a sponser on this site.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

they should both be interchangable, either should work.

ryan
Old 11-20-2007, 03:55 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You should be able to use the truck PCM. I know that in the factory configuration the VATS can`t be bypassed, but in my HPTuners software I have 3 choices on the security screen
1. Serial
2. PWM
3. None

I have not tried it yet but if I put it on PWM instead of serial I should be able to use the VATS byapss box to make it run
Old 11-20-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the responses guys, they're much appreciated.

I don't know if my intent was entirely clear, I actually want to KEEP the VATS function, rather than disabling it. I've been told that if I utilize the PWM type, I can retain it as I'd like to. (I've held on to some notes & PMs that people have sent me about that.)

bczee, that's a great idea, it's just one that I'm holding on to as a "last resort". I know that John's been REALLY good about helping people out (even when they're not buying stuff from him), but I suspect that he's already got plenty of things on his plate without having people bug him & add to the pile...

Again, many thanks guys.

Quick Reply: ECM question