Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS4 harness

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS4 harness

Well now that the LS1 corvair is complete I am gonna swap out the Blwon northstar in my 86 Fiero for an LS4 from an Impala SS or a Truck (using archies adaptor)

Does anyone make a plug and play harness for it???

J.M
66 Corvair corsa , LS1 ,porsche 930 tranny
86 Fiero GT , 5spd , Blown Northstar.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowerit
Well now that the LS1 corvair is complete I am gonna swap out the Blwon northstar in my 86 Fiero for an LS4 from an Impala SS or a Truck (using archies adaptor)

J.M
66 Corvair corsa , LS1 ,porsche 930 tranny
86 Fiero GT , 5spd , Blown Northstar.

(using archies adaptor) LOL
Old 11-23-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have any pictures of your Corvair, would like to see the 930 trans setup.

V8 Archies seems to be the way to go on the adapters.. I have a 87 Fiero as my daily beater... would be more fun beating up other with it if it had a LSx motor in it. I have viewed Archies web site.. seems like a good setup but $4584 for there complete kit.. that better be everything !

Looks like the inverted the intake setup.

Keep me posted on your project if you start it.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Not too sure what is so funny about archies adaptor.. If I use a 5.3ltr truck motor I need one.. IF I use a FWD Impala SS motor I don't.Guess thats what can be expected from a Fiero.nl person who spends years talking and not producing ****. PS My good friend Shaun Hammitt says hi.

I don't talk..
I build stuff.. Haven't u been building an LS4 Fiero for 2 years?

The one and only in existence.. Took us 8 mos to build...

The Fiero

Anywsy LSX is whats going in...I don't **** around so if someone could give me suggestion as to wiring it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks !
Old 11-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Not too sure what is so funny about archies adaptor.. If I use a 5.3ltr truck motor I need one.. IF I use a FWD Impala SS motor I don't.Guess thats what can be expected from a Fiero.nl person who spends years talking and not producing ****. PS My good friend Shaun Hammitt says hi.

I don't talk..
I build stuff.. Haven't u been building an LS4 Fiero for 2 years?

The one and only in existence.. Took us 8 mos to build...

Anywsy LSX is whats going in...I don't **** around so if someone could give me suggestion as to wiring it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks !
Sweet rides.

LOL @ LS4 fiero swap for 2 years.

Why the corvette engine covers?
Old 11-24-2007, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

I find it ironic (funny to me) that you and your good friend bash archie and his products,but you are going to need them to complete your swap. You could give Archie a call and ask what he recomends. My LS4 swap hasn't taken 2 years,i just purchased the motor early this year. Yeah i could have dropped it in and been done with it but the measly 303 crank HP isn't all that impressive to me. You should be the first to know that tearing down a realativly unknown motor, and determining if/what parts will work and will not work , takes time. I have been working on a v8 swap for some time . When the LS4 dropped in my lap i purchased it and put the 327 i built up in my S-10 blazer. So i started over with the engine build. One would think since "you build ****" and you have a swap under your belt ,you would know where to get parts for an LSX swap. Since you don't these links should help.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...10002_79474_-1

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...10002_70616_-1

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0002_378816_-1

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0002_378817_-1

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0002_378818_-1

Tell your boyfriend that i enjoyed hearing about his tunning mishap LOL . Karma is a ************ !
Old 11-24-2007, 10:08 AM

All I'mma say here is good choice on replacing the Northstar. They're decent motors with decent power potential, but they're heavy. Very heavy, next to the LSx line. But why use the LS4 other than the fact that it's already a transverse motor? Due to the displacement on demand provisions and other provisions, it's heavier than, say, an LS1, and makes less power. You could follow my route and go with an LS1 and the GM F40 6-speed for a decent price from Archie, and see a curb weight slightly less than a stock V6, while nearly quadrupling your power output.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:31 PM
Teching In

God Bless Hobart kennedy.

Archie no longer needed...
Old 11-24-2007, 12:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bczee
seems like a good setup but $4584 for there complete kit.. that better be everything !
It does include everything, even a good tune. He really knows his screwdrivers, he'll have you backfiring the shop full of black smoke on your way to 230whp in no time. And your water pump will be right in front of the tires, without shielding, but that's ok, because a V8 Fiero doesn't ever go in rain. And your alternator belt will squeal forever, but all V8s do that right? And you'll need to run to Home Depot and get about 7 washers to make the brackets fit, but every engine is different, despite the laser guided CNC machines that make them.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Ok , enough archie BS... some peopel think he builds good stuff , some people dont.

never considered the DOD issue with the LS4 , so I guess I will just search for a good LS1.

In the meantime I still have the plastic Ls1 fromt he corvair build , I will get working with that.

If you know of anyone who wants to take a slice at a Northstar swap I have just about everything needed and I will sell it cheap.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:04 PM
Banned

Don't tempt me.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
Sweet rides.

LOL @ LS4 fiero swap for 2 years.

Why the corvette engine covers?

Motor is from an 03 Vette..She came that way!.

Plus most corvair people don't know what they are looking @!
Old 11-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Teching In

aaron...

CHEAP!!!!!!

engine , Cradle flywheel , clutch , Exhaust (I am keeping the tranny)

U gotta pick it up.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Teching In

I talked to several places but none of them sell a complete plug/play harness for the LS4. Most I talked to sell a re-worked harness that comes labled and you connect the harness to the Fiero side. If you find a place that sells a P/P harness, post it up.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

Ok , enough archie BS... some peopel think he builds good stuff , some people dont.

never considered the DOD issue with the LS4 , so I guess I will just search for a good LS1.

In the meantime I still have the plastic Ls1 fromt he corvair build , I will get working with that.

If you know of anyone who wants to take a slice at a Northstar swap I have just about everything needed and I will sell it cheap.

OK all BS and bickering aside, the LS4's dod components can be replaced with standard LSX stuff. The lifters are the same diameter, and i found some lifter retainers that bolt in with no grinding on the block. Also with the LS4 the cam position sensor is located 180* out from the newer LS6's with the cam position sensor on the front cover. The cam gears are the same on both the LS2 and LS4. So the programing must be differant to make up for this relocating of the sensor. I posted this up in my teardown thread on "old europe" LOL . I purchased a new from GM LS2 front timing cover with gasket and sensor for 118 bucks . Here is the thread if you haven't seen it already.
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/062546-4.html
Old 11-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Probably just as easy to get an LSX 5.3 from a truck though is it not and use an adaptor??? for the BS involved witht he FWD LS4 Iwould rather just get an adaptor and go big
Old 11-25-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Corvair is sweet! Wonder what Nader thinks of that thing!

As far as the harness stuff goes, we're getting a harness built locally at Superior Harness. They do all kinds of GM wire harness swap stuff. www.superiorharnesscompany.com
Old 11-25-2007, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Probably just as easy to get an LSX 5.3 from a truck though is it not and use an adaptor??? for the BS involved witht he FWD LS4 Iwould rather just get an adaptor and go big
The only advantage of going with the LS4 is there is no need for an adaptor plate. The 5.3 from a truck would be the way to go if gettting the adaptor plate was not an issue.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MstangsBware
The only advantage of going with the LS4 is there is no need for an adaptor plate. The 5.3 from a truck would be the way to go if gettting the adaptor plate was not an issue.
The LS4 also has displacement on demand. And IIRC, the 5.3 truck motors were still iron blocks weren't they?
Old 11-25-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Gen IV 5.3s are aluminum and IIRC have DOD as well.

Quick Reply: LS4 harness