Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'68 LS1 Camaro Suspension Q's

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 12:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '68 LS1 Camaro Suspension Q's

Hey guys. I was hoping some of the conversion gurus could help me out. Im in the process of putting together my LS1 powered '68 and I was wondering about the suspension. I'm looking to run 18's with a solid drop. I've read mixed reviews about drop spindles vs. springs etc. What really works best (front and rear)? Post pics if you have them. Spring rates and part #s would be great. Thanks!
Old 11-24-2007, 03:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you really should check out a few issues of gm high tech or CHP they often times have great articles on just such a car and stance with the proper handling etc...great info
Old 11-24-2007, 04:34 AM
On The Tree

You should avoid dropspindels because they will not give you the optimum geometry. Best way is to go with dropsprings and a Guldstrand Modification on the upper control arms mounting together with new control arms.

This will give you a lot better handling.

Next step would be a complete subframe with Corvette C5 or C6 parts.

For a lot of information about this you could look at www.pro-touring.com in the brakes and suspension sections.

Good Luck

Jan
Old 11-24-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

Where have you read mixed reviews of dropped spindles? All of the reviews I've read have been BAD. However, I recently saw someone claiming to have a redesigned dropped spindle that's taller to help correct the camber curve--I don't know how it compares to stock or non-dropped tall spindles though.

When I redo my front end again, my current plan is SPC upper control arms and ATS tall spindles.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Teching In

I've got 2" drop spindles on mine with no problems. I ordered them with my baer brakes The whole brake spindle combo came assembled. I've got 18x7 frt rims with 3.5 backspace. There is no tie rod interference, which is the usual problem. Larry
Old 11-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

I have never heard much good about dropped spindles, why not buy some hotchkis springs they are a 2" drop and if thats not enough cut a coil or two off. For the rear they make 1.5 drop springs and you can add blocks to go lower.
If you are just going for looks then go with some dropped spindles, If you are going for performance get some ATS spindles and some spc control arms with hotchkis springs.

here is my car with 17/18's

Quick Reply: '68 LS1 Camaro Suspension Q's