Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake heat soak problems after swap.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 02:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Brake heat soak problems after swap.

I just finished doing a vortec 350 swap on a 96 s10 for a customer. All was perfect for 700 miles afterwards. Now the front brakes are slowly applying the more you drive it till the point they are damm near locked up. I wrapped all of the brake lines by the drivers side header( using sanderson shorties) no dice. I gave up and replaced the master no dice. When you are on the side of the road with them dead locked you can crack the line for the front brakes at either the ABS unit or on the master and it will release chingos pressure and you can hear the calipers relax. Does anyone know WTF is going on or where I can go next. I have done several of these trucks and never had this occur.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

have you checked the distribution block ?
Old 12-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
I just finished doing a vortec 350 swap on a 96 s10 for a customer. All was perfect for 700 miles afterwards. Now the front brakes are slowly applying the more you drive it till the point they are damm near locked up. I wrapped all of the brake lines by the drivers side header( using sanderson shorties) no dice. I gave up and replaced the master no dice. When you are on the side of the road with them dead locked you can crack the line for the front brakes at either the ABS unit or on the master and it will release chingos pressure and you can hear the calipers relax. Does anyone know WTF is going on or where I can go next. I have done several of these trucks and never had this occur.

hi,

after you drive for awhile and the brakes lock up, loosen up the 2 bolts that connect the master cylinder to the brake booster. loosen them up atleast 5 turns, if the brakes free up, the plunger that applies force to the cylinder is too long, shorten it accordingly.

hope this helps,

volkan
Old 12-07-2007, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vtanju
hi,

after you drive for awhile and the brakes lock up, loosen up the 2 bolts that connect the master cylinder to the brake booster. loosen them up atleast 5 turns, if the brakes free up, the plunger that applies force to the cylinder is too long, shorten it accordingly.

hope this helps,

volkan
what he said, i replaced the master cylinder in an Accord once and the pedal pushrod was just a tad bit to long, it said in the install instructions to adjust it but i didn't read 'em till after i was done. Anyway, i'd drive the car and the brakes would gradually get more and more "applied". I could put my foot under the brake pedal and pull against the rubber pedal stop and the brakes would loosen up. The pushrod wasn't too long by much, but just enough.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Well everyone was on the right path with the brake booster. I had time to tinker with it during lunch. I backed off the bolts on the master it was perfect. I noticed the button on the booster was out way far and the pedal was not depressed. I disconnected the vaccum line and the button sunk back to normal. Hooked it up and out she came. I put a new booster on it and drove it home this afternoon and it seems to be great now. I swear the weird things you run across while working on cars for a living will drive you up a wall.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no what gets you are the ones where someone put a junk yard part on... so it's dirty and matches everything under the hood. and they don't tell you they were playing mechanic and it started after they got done playing around. those are the ones where you go HUH? how the heck could the car have been driven for so long like this?
Old 12-09-2007, 12:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah those are a real pita definitely had those come through our shop before.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Teching In

the problem you experienced came from the master cylinder not allowing fluid to return to the reservoir. the pushrod adjustment must allow fluid on the pressure side of the master cylinder to return to the reservoir when the pedal is in it's resting position. i've seen this a number of times, but so infrequently that it seems new everytime.

Quick Reply: Brake heat soak problems after swap.