Sponsored by:

Lokar shifter replacments

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lokar shifter replacments

Hi there,

Have a 1994 Toyota P/U w/LM7+4L60E. Currently has a Lokar 4L60 shifter in it, and sure as heck whenever its COLD out its almost impossible to get into gear. In particular its really hard to get the safety button up/down. I assume the aluminum contracts or something. I've tried lubing and clearancing it a bit.. no dice. Hit it with a blow torch or heat gun.. works great.

Just curious what other hybrid guys are using out there. I've gotta do something about this, it's really hard to tell what shift detent I'm even in.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

Interesting.. I just bought one of these for my 5.3L/4L60E swap. Hope I don't run into the same issue. Can the **** be swapped to something else?
Old 12-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Well, Lokar has a few ***** available. I just have the normal disc aluminum one. I was going to take it apart again one last time tomorrow, otherwise I'm at a loss. I love the way it mounts to the transmission, but this is my DD... and I'm tired of this

Edit:

Found a hotrod site complaining of the same things on Google. Looks like most of the people cured it by totally cleaning the factory grease out of it and replacing it with something much lighter. Guess I'll try that tomorrow blah.

Last edited by Gimpster; 12-14-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Not that anyone cares, but tonight while trying to back up... I suddenly couldn't select a gear. I crawled under the truck and saw this:

Whoops, both heim joints on the gear selector rod had rusted/siezed. I turned the truck off and manually selected D4 and took it to my shop.

So for now I replaced it with this:

Not sure if I'll replace that threaded rod/heim joints or not. The aluminum flat bar actually feels really great. I can feel all of the detents very solid now.. which I haven't for a long time. I think at the very least I'll take it back off this weekend and TIG a little brace on it so the bar won't bend at the crook.

So the moral of the story- lube up your Lokars heim joints now/then or be stranded like I was At least now I know why it felt so crappy now. I feel dumb for not crawling under the truck about 2 months ago when this all started
Old 12-23-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

I've seen rubber seals that go over heim joints--i'd imagine they'd help those a lot.

Quick Reply: Lokar shifter replacments