Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L92 & 6L80E into a 1966 GTO anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L92 & 6L80E into a 1966 GTO anyone?

Ok, so I'm new here but I stayed up all night last night reading...

I found a L92 / 6L80E combo for a reasonable price (IMO?) that is complete and I'd like to shoe horn it into my 1966 GTO...

It's got under 10 miles on the combo and it's about $7500 plus shipping...

So a few questions...

will it fit without major pain?

I did see Edelbrock has an A-body kit, but it's for the 68+newer...

what are things to look out for?

Will I need the L76 intake to fit under the stock hood?

Any suggestions on rear gear ratio? The A6 had a 4.03 1st gear and a .67 6th gear... I want the car to be fast, but not have 1st gear be useless... unless you think I should just skip 1st gear... as 2nd is 2.4 or so... and I want the 6th gear to be above idle on the freeway...

Anyone local to MN care to help?

I'm open to all info you can help with, as I plan to get this thing up and running for the Power Tour 08!!

Other mods planned:
Vintage Air (or similar)
Air Ride suspension - Air Lift full kit
12 Bolt or 9" rear end
Disc brakes
other fun go fast parts as needed...

thanks!!
Old 12-20-2007, 01:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow.. good find, a bit pricey.. but for a almost new engine, that is a good thing.

Check with some of the 66-67 Chevelle guy's threads on what they have found different from the 68+ A-Body swaps.. I don't think there should be any problem fitting it into the engine bay. Would be best to pickup some A-body SBC engine frame mounts.

Yes, you should go with the L76 intake, unless you want to use a cowl hood. Those truck intake are still a good intake up to the higher RPM range, then the Car or After market intake take over.

Swap out the oil pan for a F-body or CTS-V pan, other option would be the aftermarket oil pans.

A good around rear gear would be in the mid 3's, but I think you will be much more happier with a 3:73 or 4:10.. I am running 4:10's, but have a Viper T56 with a .50 6th gear and still get 23+ on the highway.

Keep us posted on the project.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:33 AM
Teching In

With your 4:10's and .5 6th gear what RPM's are you running on the freeway - 70MPH?

I'm really worried that 1st gear would just go up in smoke being that it's a 4.03 in the 6 speed auto... so maybe just disable 1st??

How do I find the guys with the 66-67's? I'm pretty new here (this being post #2) but I'm not a total newbie to forums... I've been staying up way too late already reading, so if anyone can offer direction as to where to look I'd much appreciate it!
Old 12-20-2007, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow. I do not know about fitment in your vehicle, but I do know that John at Speartech has worked with the 6 speed automatics, and you really, really need to give him a call before you do anything. He knows how to get the programming/wiring right for the trans, and he has installed them, and will likely know about some of the issues you will face with the A-body trans tunnel. Keep us posted, and get lots of pics, this thing should be cool!
Old 12-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Maybe get in contact with Bill Howell: http://www.lateral-g.net/members/howell/

He's also site founder of: http://www.musclerides.com
Old 12-20-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well.. search on Chevelle or A-Body.. but Pistolpete, Classic Gary and John 67 are few of the a-body guys doing swap that are of the 66-67 vintage..
Old 12-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rybar
Maybe get in contact with Bill Howell: http://www.lateral-g.net/members/howell/

He's also site founder of: http://www.musclerides.com
Man, I feel honored to be mentioned as a reference on LS1tech....

We have talked via email now and I will be more than happy to help with this project. Like I tell everyone, just call Mark or Lambert at Street and Performance, their parts fit/work and they have everything you need.
Let me know if there is anything you need for this project. My junk has 9000 miles on it now, including long hauler the last two Power Tours, so it must be close to right anyway.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

TDInewguy / SSSSstefan

With the T56 6th gear a .50, 4.10:1 rear gear and 275x40x17, I am doing about 1750 at 65mph, 2000 at 75mph, 2150 at 80mph...
Old 12-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Ok, news update...

I just talked with Kevin of V8TV, and he is possibly interested in doing my car build on his TV show...

Any opinions on that? I think it sounds like a fun idea, but opinions on cost & quality?

Thanks!!
Old 12-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Kevin and crew are great folks and have the connections in the industry. The 69 chevelle convert they had at SEMA this year was a real quality piece. Their reputation depends on their work, and current builds are obviously their showpieces for more work, so I doubt quality will be an issue at all. Plus as a sidebar you could probably have your car at SEMA next year if you so desire.

Last edited by Bill Howell; 12-21-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Yaa - I want it ready for the Hot Rod power tour 08!!

Bill - we can race... LOL
Old 12-21-2007, 09:33 PM
Teching In

If I do powertour this year, it will be in a 72 Charger I am working on now. New gen 392/540hp.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:03 AM
Teching In

hmm, still wanna race? and what do you mean IF?

I might have to get the supercharger off the new 'vette... just so I can beat you.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:18 AM
Teching In

Power Tour this year is almost a repeat of last year's event, in reverse, except it ends in Madison, Wi.
Map quest Madison, Wi and Pigeon Forge,Tn.....long way home after a week of touring, not to mention the drive from here to Little Rock to start with. One thing I will say though, anyone that can, attend the Memphis leg of the tour. Great place to spend a night,especially if they have another deal on Beale St. like last year.
I will see as time gets closer, and yes, I will be "airing it out" along the way if I go......
Old 12-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Well - I live in minneapolis, so it's just a short drive home for me...

Well the news is I talked with Kevin at V8TV and it looks like they are going to do the project! It will be a fun one for them to get done for the power tour!

I did secure the engine/trans for $7000... with only 8 miles on it!
Old 01-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Default MN local

Stefan,

We met in another Life... TDIclub, I was at your place for a GTG in '01 or '02an had my TDI Beetle chipped (It had ghost frames). I am doing a LQ4 swap myself. and will be doing Powertour 08. PM me. I'd love to take a look at your project.

Kurt
Old 01-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Cool! The GTO project is officially on! I have bought the drivetrain and it's arrived at the V8TV studios... the car will be arriving down there later this week or early next...

Talk about excitment! There are a lotta cool plans in place for this project and I'm going to have to keep some of them under wraps for a little while.

Kurt - good meeting you again! funny how that is! I recently sold my Jetta wagon TDI and the cash is going into the GTO... I kept the Passat TDI for the wife...
Old 01-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TDInewguy
Cool! The GTO project is officially on! I have bought the drivetrain and it's arrived at the V8TV studios... the car will be arriving down there later this week or early next...

Talk about excitment! There are a lotta cool plans in place for this project and I'm going to have to keep some of them under wraps for a little while.
Dang, how'd you get someone else to do the work for you??!! It's been taking forever to get mine together. I am really hoping to get mine done for Power Tour (a friend of mine lives near the start in Arkansas) and Detroit isn't that far from MN and I have a bunch of family along the way back if I need to crash for a night
Old 01-10-2008, 03:48 AM
TECH Resident

Well coming from experience on my 67 you will definitely have to modify the trans tunnel a decent amount to fit the 6l80e. Mine has a 700r4(non electric 4l60e) and its a tight fit without cutting the tunnel. The F-body oil pan will work its a tight fit to squeeze it in but once you get it in there is actually a decent amount of room between the pan and the crossmember. If you go with BRP style mounts you will be able to use the F-body pan unmodified. My educated guess would be the truck intake should fit as mine with the LS6 intake has tons of room to spare. On my 67 the alternator is a really tight fit with the steering box but with a bit of "clearancing" on the steering box it does fit. I am using the F-body front drive accessories so depending on what you use it may be a non-issue. The new edelbrock headers look to be the best deal going out there now but unfortunately they weren't out in time for me so I bought the Hookers. The hookers fit and tuck up nicely the only issue I ran into was the header hitting the column shift linkage for the auto which I will solve with a console mounted shifter. Any other questions feel free to send me a pm and you should also do a search to find my thread "chevelle swap issues" as it may have some helpful hints and pictures.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:53 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the heads up! Kevin and Kelle from V8TV will be working on the car between now and the Hot Rod PT 08... so I've been researching and so have they!

Quick Reply: L92 & 6L80E into a 1966 GTO anyone?