Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts about turbo charging?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Thoughts about turbo charging?

Ok. The LS1 should be here soon. Of coarse I have the delima of locating equal length headers that will work in my narrow frame rails. So....heres a thought.

I have one T618Z Greddy turbo (still trying to find charts for flow) that I'm pulling off my RX8. I saw a LS1 someone dropped in a early Chevy car (early 30's) at a car show. He had taken a pair of shortys, flipped sides so the mounting flanges faced forward and up, mounted a pair of turbos and so on.
This would end my dilema of headers/high flow heads because forced induction (turbo/supercharged) typically overcomes flow issues. Correct?

I use to have a couple turbo/supercharger books....but damn if I cant find them anymore. Any thoughts before I try to find another turbo (how to) book for my LS1. If I'm going to have to deal with a mess....I might as well get all I can out her.

David
Old 12-24-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son works at A&A Corvettes, they do blowers and turbos all day long, he has tried to convinince me to install one on my old sedan......the only problem is that the engine compartment is so narrow I'd have to cut the hood and hang parts out in the wind. I like horsepower but that's a little too far from what I wanted the car to look like. That's why I'm building a big LS2/L92 stroker for it......torque.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

Oscar,

I see what you mean. I can tell there isnt any room for them after looking at your pictures. I was hoping to shove the block back as far as I could, to gain enough room betweeen the block and the radiator. I dont think its an option unless I'm willing to lose cab space (cutting the firewall back) and I'm not. Or mounting the radiator out a few inches more but I'm affraid that it might make her look to long in the nose and I dont have and english wheel at this time so making a custom hood isnt an option for me.

I may toy with the idea....but I'm agreeing with you....with the lack of space.

Thank you,
David
Old 12-25-2007, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

Default Heavy metal

You know Oscar, these old cars (even this far back) were a lot heavier than they look. They just dont look like they weigh 2900 (I'm told thats the weight of my truck).

Youve got me worring now that I should have gone with the LS2. LOL's. Oh well. I got a higher mileage engine/tranny combo (82000) so I may go with a stroker kit at a later date. Want her running first.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:57 AM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the equal length, make sure its a sound design and you use materials that will last.
Phil

Quick Reply: Thoughts about turbo charging?