Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have an LS364 carbed motor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Anyone have an LS364 carbed motor?

I'm looking at putting an LS364 motor in my 68 vette. Anyone buy one of these recently? I've got a few questions.
Gary
Old 12-24-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a carbureted LQ4(364) in my 1982 silverado. I did the swap, but I'm still a rookie. There's a few guys on here that have really nice carb setups - TJ, LS1MCSS, Jay_LT4, shawn macananny,LSXs10, and a few others. They've all been helping me with my setup. Good luck.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:25 PM
TECH Junkie

team,
Did you buy it as a crate motor, or adapt it from an efi motor?
Old 12-24-2007, 12:53 PM
DCx
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its the gm LS364/440 crate engine. (364 ci, 440 hp)

its based off the ls2. i saw on at a car show in the GM booth. its pretty cool. it has a smooth valley tray, gmpp carb intake, coil packs, water pump, balancer, and f body oil pan.

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/En...2134&engCat=ls

i think its way too much money considering you could get a GTO take out with trans and sell off the FI stuff if you wanted to go carb. i bought an ls1 with no accessories, pcm, or harness. sold the ls6 intake, fuel injectors, and throttle body, it more than paid for my carb intake and msd box.

since that is an LS2 you have to get a different MSD box to control the spark. the LS2 has a different reluctor wheel tooth count.

msd 6ls2 (summit has the wrong picture for the product)
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 12-24-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I converted a EFI motor from my 2000 sierra. And like DCx said, you can put that motor together for less than the crate motor price. My motor itself was 1400+300 shipping, and my carb setup(MSD box and intake) was bout 500.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:40 PM
neh
Teching In

I got one for my project but if I were in your shoes I'd wait for the LS3 based 6.2L version to come out. Got any specific question feel free
Old 12-25-2007, 07:35 AM
TECH Junkie

OK, now that I've found a few of you here.
What accessory drive to use. I only need alternator and water pump so I want to keep it simple and clean.
Does the crate motor come with the cam and crank position sensors, or does that come with the ignition kit, or do you have to buy them separately? Any unexpected issues with these, ie mounting, extra stuff to buy?
What clutch and flywheel to use on it?
As for buying a used motor..................
I cant find any LS2s with relatively low milage under $3k + shipping. For $5K, I can get a new LS364 delivered to a dealer a mile away. And if the new 6.2l, 550hp, LS3 based motor is in that same price range, that's an easy choice.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by garys 68
OK, now that I've found a few of you here.
What accessory drive to use. I only need alternator and water pump so I want to keep it simple and clean.
Does the crate motor come with the cam and crank position sensors, or does that come with the ignition kit, or do you have to buy them separately? Any unexpected issues with these, ie mounting, extra stuff to buy?
What clutch and flywheel to use on it?
As for buying a used motor..................
I cant find any LS2s with relatively low milage under $3k + shipping. For $5K, I can get a new LS364 delivered to a dealer a mile away. And if the new 6.2l, 550hp, LS3 based motor is in that same price range, that's an easy choice.
if you want to keep the accessory bracket simple and just need an alternator and water pump, just get a drivers side truck bracket and cut the lower 1/2 off of it and just use it to mount your alternator, this is what i have in my s-10 and it works great(let me know if you go with this option and ill get ya the serp belt #)

a crate engine may or may not come with the crank and cam sensors, i wouldnt worry they are not that expensive and they will not come with your ignition kit (msd 6010)

clutch and flywheel will all depend on what bellhousing and trans you go with, auto's are easy for the conversion because any chevy th350,400,700r4,4l60e will bolt right up to the ls engines
Old 12-25-2007, 09:30 PM
neh
Teching In

Accessory drive - it uses the corvette style accessories but I'm going to go with a full setup so I'm not much help on what to do for yours

It does come with cam and crank sensors and like jay lt4 said you buy the msd box separately, which comes with the wiring harness. However you need the MSD 6012 box because of the different reluctor wheel

Mounting is the same as any other ls engine, you'd have to look up what others are doing for your car. As for extras, you'll need a starter and if you want to take advantage of the MSD's vacuum advance a MAP sensor. I haven't mounted any sending units for gauges yet but I plan on drilling out metric plugs and threading them with whatever the senders are

The guy I bought my transmission from set me up with all my clutch stuff but they are mcleod brand. Several guys are using a LS7 clutch setup and I believe scoggin-dickey(sp?) sells a kit for it, do a search in the manual transmission forum. Don't forget you'll also need a pilot bearing or bushing

Quick Reply: Anyone have an LS364 carbed motor?