Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do you connect gauges/idiot lights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Default how do you connect gauges/idiot lights?

Hello,
I have an LQ9 6.9L in my '70 Impala, now I need gauges, water temp and oil pressure:
~I guess for the water temp, I can use the unused sensor thread on the back of the passenger-side head. Can I use there mechanical or electrical gauge? What size thread is this?
~ for the oil pressure, where/how on the engine do I connect?
I guess the gauges I buy will come with instructions, but I would like to know before I buy, your answers may help me pick gauges too.
~ How can I connect the wires from the Impala original idiot lights? Or am I asking for too much?...
Thanks!
Old 12-25-2007, 10:05 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For the water temp the extra hole in the pass head is EDIT:12mm x 1.50. EDIT I don`t think that there are any mechanical sending units that will fit in the 10mm hole. You can use a 1/8" electric gauge sender with an adapter. Look for more options in the FAQ sticky.

For the oil pressure you have 2 options, either on the top of the block behind the intake you can remove the factory LS1 sender and place your sender there. IIRC that is a 16mm x 1.50 thread. You can also drill and tap the adapter plate on your oil pan right above the oil filter, for a 1/8" NPT thread. See John B.`s site for further info on that mod.

To make the original impala idiot lights work you would have to reuse those sending units in addition to the ones for the LS1 and gauges.

Last edited by G-Body; 12-25-2007 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Had to correct the thread size
Old 12-25-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

G-Body.. is not the plug 12mm ?

For the oil sender, since the PCM dosn't need the signal, you can use the port of it for a aftermarket gauge.. what I and other have done, is use the OEM sender, break off the top plastic part, drill and tap the bottom part for 1/8" NPT and install your aftermarket gauge sender into the bottom part and install it back on the block. Or what I did, used my Chevelle idiot sender (since I drilled and tapped the adapter that G-Body stated for a aftermarket gauge sender) and my idiot light now works along with a aftermarket autometer gauge.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:35 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

bczee, thanks for the catch. Yes the oil pressure is 12mm x 1.50. Going back to edit my first post now.

Quick Reply: how do you connect gauges/idiot lights?