Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a few questions about wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a few questions about wiring

first off, i have a modified wiring harness for 5.3l silverado engine. i bought it off eBay about a year ago and im not sure what company converted it for stand alone use but its for an automatic transmission. i plan on using a t56 so today i began removing wires i dont need.

at the end of the day i came up with some assumptions id like you guys to confirm.

1. all the pink wires do the same thing: 12 volt+
2. all the black wires do the same thing: ground
3. for the most part all the black/white wires do the same thing: ground
4. all the brown wires do the same thing: not sure what they do

i also have a few questions.

1. why do they use a different color for the ground. what i mean is why are there black/white wires and solid black wires?

2. all the brown wires on my harness connect to the same spot then branch off to individual sensors. what do the brown writes do?

3. i have 4 o2 sensor plugs. they are all white square connectors. how do i find which ones are for the front o2 sensors? (i wont be using cats so i don't need rear sensors)

4. since my harness was made for an automatic, will i have any problems with the neutral safety switch when i use a t56? will i have to wire it differently?

PLEASE....if you have the answers to any of these questions i would really really appreciate!

btw here are some pics:

Old 12-26-2007, 06:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Use the starter wires for the car. That way, the pcm and neutral safety will have nothing to do with each other. As far as O2 sensors, the diagram will tell you which wires to remove. I have this in a bigger pic, if you need it.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks!

another question: it looks like the person who modified my harness pretty much connected all the tan wires together into 1 block then ran individual wires to each sensor. is this ok?
Old 01-02-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all the tan wires connectoed together...are you talking about o2 sensor wires for the purple/tan??

GM did this in some years, some o2 sensors were either case grounded, or isolated ground. Doesnt really matter which.

I've even used 3 wire o2 sensors from 91-93 chevy astro van. I tied the Tan wire at the o2 sensor to GROUND along with the black wire for o2 heater. The senor functioned fine.

I belive the TAN is a cleaner ground signal so the o2 sensor data is cleaner.