Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

65 Corvette finally running!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 65 Corvette finally running!

I finally got the 65 running last week after several delays.

Had a little problem with the air cleaner and MAF that I selected not fitting, and had a problem with the throttle pedal not communicating with the ECM. Street and Performance built me a new air inlet and MAF, and shipped it out very quick. Troubleshooting the throttle pedal turned out to be just a bad connection at the plug-in connector, I must have not had it snapped in tightly. My brand-new Optima red-top battery was DOA and would not take a charge, but the guys at SAM's replaced it with no problem. The car started right up after about the third rotation, but idled like crap for about 10 minutes while the ECM got everything dialed in. The engine now idles at about 500 rpm, and you can't even feel it running.
The mufflers that Stainless works built for me are much quieter than the ones they built for the 59, and I am real satisfied with them. I love the 59 but it draws the attention of everyone within a 2 block radius when you step on it, including the boys in blue!
I drove it around the block while sitting on top of a stack of lawn chair cushions. I do not want to install the seats or door panels until the top is on and I am finished with the car, as the white leather is very unforgiving of greasy hands! I did not really get on it, but it feels really strong. It still has to go to the alignment shop in the next week or so.

The last of the bumpers finally arrived this week from the chrome shop, and I got them on.

I am still waiting for Knoch to get my top made. I am told that getting the Harrtz StayFast material is the problem, but if it does not get here soon, I may have to look for other alternatives.

Here are some pics of the engine compartment, sorry about the focus, my POS auto focus camera seems to have a mind of it's own. I can't wait to get a SLR digital camera that I can control the focus of!

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1950117

Here is a link to the full album of my my Corvette projects for those who are interested.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubgallery.asp?id_=339303

Regards, John McGraw

Last edited by John McGraw; 12-30-2007 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You have two really clean looking rides.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow John, You have done it again. You really do a great job in hiding the wires under the hood. Makes for a really clean engine bay. Any tips?
Old 12-30-2007, 10:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The chassis work on the 59 is awesome. Where did you get it from? Both cars are A1. I can tell you are a man for detail!!! Nice work.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Schitzo
wow John, You have done it again. You really do a great job in hiding the wires under the hood. Makes for a really clean engine bay. Any tips?
Schitzo,

Thanks, I am pretty ****-retentive about hiding wires! I ran all the main body wires up inside front wheelwells on both cars. I ran then in conduits to protect them, and painted them to match the wheelwells so they can't be seen. Even the wires to the cooling fans enter from the front area behind the grille. The engine harness is from Speartech, but there is hardly a wire in it that has not been either re-routed, or shortened. I try and hide as many wires as possible up under the fuel rail covers. I did make one tactical error, and that was the placement of the power steering fluid tank. It is tucked under the driver's side fender behind the window washer fluid tank, and it is a pain to add fluid to the power steering. If I had that to do again, I would have mounted it in plain sight on the inner fender adjacent to the pump!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 12-30-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JRracing
The chassis work on the 59 is awesome. Where did you get it from? Both cars are A1. I can tell you are a man for detail!!! Nice work.
Thanks,

Both chassis came from SRIII motorsports up near Chicago. I probably spent more time on the 59, but the 65 will probably age better. The 59 frame is painted with urethane paint where the 65 is powder coated. I polished the suspension components on the 59 and then clear coated them, but the 65 suspension components are chrome powder coated. I still polished them all to a mirror finish before coating them, but the powdercoat should wear a lot better, even if it does not shine quite as much.

The 59 has a Dana 36 rear and C4 Corvette front suspension, while the 65 has C5 Corvette front suspension and a beefy Dana 44 rearend to take the higher power level of the LS2. I had to shorten the halfshafts 1.25" on each side, and had to section the struts and tie rods a similar amount before grinding them smooth and polishing them. The 65 also has a real neat electric emergency brake system that I fabricated using a unit that was used on a 2006 Lincoln LS. Trying to actuate the Corvette E brake calipers with manual lever proved to be almost useless on the 59, but the electric unit will drag the 65 to a stop pretty well.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 12-31-2007, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations John! You have done a great job.

Pat
Old 12-31-2007, 08:06 AM
11 Second Club

Very nice.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:33 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Very nice!
Old 12-31-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Immaculate job! Verry nice rides.

Would say ****-retentive, obsesive and hard worker.

Quick Reply: 65 Corvette finally running!