Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VSS wire splicing

Old 12-31-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default VSS wire splicing

I'm just wondering if I can solder an extra wire onto each of the VSS wires on a 4L80-E.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:36 PM
12 Second Club

Dont see why not. Just make sure the connection is a good one. But I'm sure someone will come and ramble about resistance of solder or something.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sabre002
Dont see why not. Just make sure the connection is a good one. But I'm sure someone will come and ramble about resistance of solder or something.
Yeah, I'm kinda worried about it. I know that solder should work but I'm still nervous. I don't really have a choice, both the wires got to go to the PCM to control the 4L80-E and both the wires got to go to my 1989 K-1500 for the speedometer (which I want to keep stock) and to my cruise control.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:49 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can splice in if you must, but I don`t think that is what you want to do. I believe that your speedo and cruise control are looking for a 4000 pulse per mile square wave DC signal. The VSS puts out a 40 pulse per revolution sine wave AC signal. You may have to remove the DRAC box in your truck, but your should be able to connect your speedo and cruise to the speedometer output from the PCM. Have you checked out the Jags that run VSS chapter? Its ch13 and you should be able to download if from their site for free.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think as long as you use the correct gauge wire and do a good job of soldering (no cold joints) you should be ok.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

On the 89, the speedo is looking for a 4k pulse, but the cruise is looking for a 2k pulse. I'm in the same boat, and was thinking I could use the VSS Bufffer box to control the cruise.

See, the old TBI equipped vehicles didn't come with a very good ecm. It couldn't handle the 4k input from the 700R4. So they had to have a Buffer box to dumb down the signal to 2k for the ECM to process it. It also stepped the signal down for the cruise.

What I was going to try and do, was run the Speedo output from the PCM, to the VSS Buffer box. THe buffer box has an unaltered output, so there is your speedo, then utilize the output for the cruise.

Sounds simple right?

I couldn't get it to work. My *guess* is the buffer box is looking for the actual pulses, across two wires from the actual VSS. Since the speedo is only a one wire output, you don't have the complete curcuit. I tried grounding the one wire, than the other with no luck.

I ended up getting a box to step the signal down, but it didn't work all that great, and the cruise surges for the lack of a better decription. Almost easier to drive without it.

Now I did do some reading about adjusting the cruise signal output in the PCM. The guy who did my baseline tune told me there are some scalers in the HP Tuners for cruise, but you would have to experiment with it. Tough to do off the vehicle ya know?

So perhaps I'll go that route before I go to the yards to do the cruise swap as mentioned in the stickies

good luck

-jason
Old 01-01-2008, 08:05 AM
10 Second Club

If this is in a stock computer, just wire in another VSS into pins 22 & 23.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaysz28
So perhaps I'll go that route before I go to the yards to do the cruise swap as mentioned in the stickies
I see GM cruise modules with cable $25 to $30 on ebay... get the one that matches your throttle body and connect up the wires. At that price, I can't see much reason for messing with getting a different cruise system to work.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:54 AM
TECH Addict

The DRAC is built into the gauge cluster so removing it would be improbable. I was hoping the 1989 Cluster and the 1998 PCM would use the same signal pulsage, I guess I'm not that lucky...... Well, I did some searching and I found a universal speedometer signal interface from Dakota Digital. >>HERE<< Would this work?

This is how I'm thinking about wiring this.

You guys think this setup will work?
Old 01-02-2008, 01:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rodder
I see GM cruise modules with cable $25 to $30 on ebay... get the one that matches your throttle body and connect up the wires. At that price, I can't see much reason for messing with getting a different cruise system to work.
Well my needs are a little more complicated. I'm swapping a 1998 Vortec 454 and 4L80-E into my 1989 Silverado K-1500. I'm wanting to use the stock gauge cluster and cuise control. The only reason I want to send the VSS signal to the PCM is because the PCM needs it to control the 4L80-E.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your wiring won't work the way you have it drawn up. The DD box needs to be inline with the gauge cluster instead of the pcm. The pcm can understand the vss signal, but the cluster can't.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

LS1MCSS is correct

If your diagram is correct, then it seems the Cruise gets its signal from the back of the cluster?

Is your speedo cable driven? If it is, you'll have to find a different box that will be driven by the PCM. I don't think you'll have any other issues though with the cruise as it gets its pulses from the cable driven speedo.

Rodder The cruise worked perfect in the car before the swap. All that needs to be done is to step, or half the signal down from 4k to 2k ppm. Seems a lot easier than buying more parts, running more wires and the like. All the parts are there to make it work, its just getting the correct signal, which appears to be controlled by the PCM. Just like the Tach in the older vehicles. Instead of using a new tach, just change the setting in the PCM.

-jason
Old 01-02-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
Your wiring won't work the way you have it drawn up. The DD box needs to be inline with the gauge cluster instead of the pcm. The pcm can understand the vss signal, but the cluster can't.
Yeah, I was thinking about that last night in bed before I fell asleep. It would be better if the box was in line with the gauge cluster and cruise control. That way I could actually calibrate it and IF the Dakota Digital box was to fail you could still drive.

LS1MCSS is correct

If your diagram is correct, then it seems the Cruise gets its signal from the back of the cluster?

Is your speedo cable driven? If it is, you'll have to find a different box that will be driven by the PCM. I don't think you'll have any other issues though with the cruise as it gets its pulses from the cable driven speedo.

-jason
I believe the cruise control gets it's speed signal from the cluster but I'll double check the wiring diagram later today. The speedometer is electronically driven.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Well if the cruise gets its signal from the cluster, then you have nothing to worry about.

With my 91 Firebird, the cruise receives the input from the VSS Buffer. Sounds like your buffer is built into the speedo. Wish mine was that simple.

I've only seen that with cable driven speedo's, and wasn't sure what year GM swapped over the trucks. I know that camaro didn't change over to electric speedo until '90. Firebirds changed over in '87 though.

Good luck with that swap

-jason
Old 01-03-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Well if the cruise gets its signal from the cluster, then you have nothing to worry about.

With my 91 Firebird, the cruise receives the input from the VSS Buffer. Sounds like your buffer is built into the speedo. Wish mine was that simple.

I've only seen that with cable driven speedo's, and wasn't sure what year GM swapped over the trucks. I know that camaro didn't change over to electric speedo until '90. Firebirds changed over in '87 though.

Good luck with that swap

-jason
I wish it was that easy, I just looked at my wiring diagram and I need two wires going to the cluster. The Dakota Digital box has a one wire output... So now I don't know how I'm gonna set this up......

Old 01-03-2008, 11:55 PM

I think I see a solution here, but let me try to figure out exactly what you are doing here.

1. You ahve a LSx motor and PCM?
2. You have a 4l80e....is that a LSx 4l80e and your trying to control it with the LSx PCM or are you also keeping your computer from the old motor to run the trans?

You are looking for a 2000PPM signal for cruise and a 4000ppm for the speedo, is there anything else you are trying to get a signal too??
Old 01-04-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

The DRAC is built into the cluster from 88-90,(91?) The couple of older fullsize trucks that I have done the retrofit in I left the cluster controlling the cruise. Then spliced the high and low speed sensor output heading to cluster direcly to the VSS wiring heading to the new LSX pcm. Neither will ever know they are piggy backed with anything else. The trans shifted correctly, and the vss and cruise functioned perfectly and it did not need adaptors and was pretty straight forward.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Veteran

If you still have problems after that you can simply bolt in a 93-94 cluster rewire the pigtail on the back and then run the VSS input a single green with a white tracer to the speedo output on your 98 pcm.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
The DRAC is built into the cluster from 88-90,(91?) The couple of older fullsize trucks that I have done the retrofit in I left the cluster controlling the cruise. Then spliced the high and low speed sensor output heading to cluster direcly to the VSS wiring heading to the new LSX pcm. Neither will ever know they are piggy backed with anything else. The trans shifted correctly, and the vss and cruise functioned perfectly and it did not need adaptors and was pretty straight forward.
That was exactly what I was going to suggest.

I didn`t realize that the DRAC was built into the back of the cluster on those years. After I looked at the wiring diagrams above I realized that this truck used a DRAC and I knew that you could recalibrate them since I just did that for my 4.3L chevette.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:20 AM
TECH Veteran

4.3 Chevette???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VSS wire splicing