Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?? About swapping bbc for ls6 in2 1981 impala

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?? About swapping bbc for ls6 in2 1981 impala

Ok i recently bought a 1981 2door box impala. It currently has a sluggish 454 and a turbo 350 trans. Ive been trying to look into swapping the 454 out for a ls1 or ls6. Could i use my current transmission or shoul i buy a 4l60e? How difficult do you think the install would be ? Before i go buying a ls motor i just want to make sure its possible for the most part. Any help would be GREATLY GREATLY appreciated. Im trying to get the ls motor for the reliabilty for the most part and not to mention the h.p is not bad @ all and its a light weight motor that would be in a heavy *** car, ive included a couple pics of what the car looks like now.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should have more than enough room to install a Gen III or IV motor. Depending on what your plans are for the car and type of driving.. that may help in your decision on the Trans. But I would highly recommend getting a LQ9 or LQ4 6.0L with a 4L60e or even a 4L80e (that 81' is pertty heavy), many have some great build up and have produced some great HP numbers. The overdrive will allow you to put a nice set of 4.10 or better in the rear end.

As far as swap parts.. they are out there, do some research and look at some of the vendors and sponsor on this site. S&P catalog has a lot of information and option, other vendor will also be able to supply many of the same parts.

Try searching on B-Body Impala or Caprice. There are a few that have posted there swaps of the B-Body... You have a great car to start with. Keep us posted and do your reseach. If you then can't find what you need. Ask specify question and you will get your answers..
Old 01-11-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Niiiiice car. Mind if I ask what you gave for it?

I have a 1978 Caprice 2 door Coupe with a 1998 LS1 with my 1978 TH350 bolted up to it (just used a adapter for the Tq conv). Check out the link below in my Sig.

Quick Reply: ?? About swapping bbc for ls6 in2 1981 impala