Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 into 70 Chevelle. Mounting?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 into 70 Chevelle. Mounting?????

I am at the beginning stages of trying to convert a 70 Chevelle from a small block to a 6.0. What kind of motor mounting is used? Is there a conversion kit? Trans mounting? Stock crossmember? Am still debating on O.D. trans or TH400?
Suspension: Am going to attempt to drop the car a couple inches after the motor is in. Has anyone done this and what set-up's are being used?
Thanks in advance. This site is awesome......
Old 01-03-2008, 06:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

i am working on a 69, and hear is what i have done so far-hooker headers and their mount adapters(i use the 350-454 frame mounts)
caddy cts oil pan, might be some minor interference lock to lock with tie rod ends, but i will address that again later
i am using a corvette acces drive that clears everything (i am running a procharger for a vette setup and intercooler)
i have mocked up a 4l80e, but it needs some minor floor massaging
i also mocked up a turbo 400, which fits perfect, might run a switch pitch 400
a 4l60e will fit great also
i might start out with a carb, switch over to f/i later, as i am **** about computers
this stuff is not cheap! if i were starting out again, i would buy a comp. take out, motor, trans, wiring, computer
i hope to get back on the drive train by feb., doing all the body work now, and as soon as i paint it, i'll get it back into my other bay and really make some progress
Old 01-03-2008, 08:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search. There are quite a few A-Body swaps around. Mounts depend on oil pan and A/C.

Check out chevelles.com pro-touring section for the drop info. SC&C stage II kit, 9.5" tall springs w/ adjusters in the front and 11" or 12" tall rear springs is a nice stance.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:36 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know the exact answer, but we do have a customer that is coming here today that did this same swap. I will get the answer for you and let you know what pieces you need.

Forced Ind, what are you using for a computer/harness setup. I can help you out if you need it.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, to use the general answer, you use the small-block short and wide pedastals, soem small-block motor mounts, and either buy or fab some adapter plates. Go to S&P website (which is very disorganized, but usefull) and you will find some swaps you can reference. www.hotrodlane.cc is their site. You can buy mount adapter plates from several vendors, or, you can fab a set for about $10. For the trans, you will have to massage the tunnel a little bit, but I highly recomend you go with the overdrive. Gas is over $3 a gallon, why not get the most of it? The biggest issue you will have is the oil-pan. You can modify one yourself if you are talented with tig, or you can pay to have one modified. You can also buy a swap pan from several vendors, but that is a pricey option. You can either modify your 400 crossmember, buy a crossmember kit (many vendors for that one in the $100-$300 range), or you can make one. A-body suspension upgrades are pretty common. If you are a rich man, go look at the RS Performance chassis (http://www.superchevy.com/features/c...lle/index.html) or you can really do a lot to get an A-body to handle and sit nicely using several vendors kits and pieces. Generally, updating the upper control arms, swaybar, shock and springs, and a drop spindle (with all new bushings, end links, and such) up front and new upper and lower arms and swaybar (with bushings, mounts, etc.) in the rear will go a long way towards your goal. Good luck, and get some pics up!
Old 01-03-2008, 09:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We have several mounts that can be used, I would suggest the 1 inch setback units to help with oil pan clearance. We also carry a conversion oil pan that I feel in conjunction with our 1 inch back mounts will work nicely. The ac compressor will not work in the stock location for this and if you don't want to buy a pan you could always modify the crossmember.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/830171-3-new-ls-conversion-mounts-carshop.html
Old 01-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

I am planning on purchasing a complete takeout of a motor, trans, wiring and computer. The main concern was least getting the motor and trans mounted. I was not aware there would be oil pan clearance problems. Definitly good to know. Headers will not be a concern yet, because the plan is to run a twin turbo set-up. I have a master at turbo-setups hopefully going to help me out with this project(as long as my wallet can handle it). The car I am putting this in is a non a/c car, so hopefully that won't be a problem with pulleys etc.
Thanks for everyones input. It will definitly help by knowing how everyone has tackled this conversion already. I will keep up with all the details.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kwkrat2
I am at the beginning stages of trying to convert a 70 Chevelle from a small block to a 6.0. What kind of motor mounting is used? Is there a conversion kit? Trans mounting? Stock crossmember? Am still debating on O.D. trans or TH400?
Suspension: Am going to attempt to drop the car a couple inches after the motor is in. Has anyone done this and what set-up's are being used?
Thanks in advance. This site is awesome......
I created my adapter plates after the BRP style mounts and moved my Frame mount to where I needed the engine to be. There are many kits you can by, S&P, BRP, Hooker and others all markets complete kits. With my BRP style mount, I was able to take my stock TH350 crossmember and just cut the tap off, reposition it upside down and weld it back on.

I would go with a Overdrive Trans hands down. That way you can go to some steeper gears in the rear and still be able to cruise on the highway. I have 4.10 and a T56 with a .50 6th gear. I am doing 1750 at 65mph..!

As far as dropping it.. I did the Hotchkis B-Body spindle conversion and there TVS system. it was suppose to drop the car about 2 1/2".. but with the lighter weight of the LS1... I am still about stock height.. I will be cutting my sprint this winter a 1/2 coil.

Pictures and text of my swap are in my sig.. but search on the other a-body swap to get different swap ideas (Stealth71, LS1 Chevelle, etc)

Keep us posted..
Old 01-03-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

I built my A-body mounts using the F-body frame and engine mounts. you can see them in this link.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/836762-1965-ls1-f85-project-pic-s.html

Mine is a 65 cutlass and is probably way different than your 70 chevelle. I had no issues with my a/c comp hitting the cross member as others have but I did wipe out the stock f-body altenator location with my steering box. it will have to find a new home on the other side of the ls1. Good luck with your project.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

looks like these guys built similar mounts like mine using the oem ls1 engine mount in this chevelle.
http://www.hotrodbuilders.com/ProjectDetails.aspx?29
Old 01-04-2008, 04:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by rockytopper
looks like these guys built similar mounts like mine using the oem ls1 engine mount in this chevelle.
http://www.hotrodbuilders.com/ProjectDetails.aspx?29

They really hacked up the crossmember for no reason in the front...... Now if they were going to mount the ac down low I can see that but it went up high...
Old 01-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not ready to hack-up the frame of the car..... That's crazy. I'm sure there are other ways of doing it.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:14 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by kwkrat2
I'm not ready to hack-up the frame of the car..... That's crazy. I'm sure there are other ways of doing it.

Some applications do require some kind of modification to the frame to achieve adequate oil pan clearance, But I think you could get away with the correct mounts and modified pan to leave yours virgin.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With the BRP type of mounting, You can use a stock F-Body pan and not have to modify the rear of the crossmember for the pan.. it will fit.. tight but fit..once it is in, you will have about 3/8"-1/2" of clearance.

With the S&P (or other of this design and location) you will either have to use a modified oil pan or clearance the Crossmember..
Old 01-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Launching!

if you use the gto accessary setup, its even tighter than vette.and with BRP mounts and F-body pan, the drivers low mount alternator even clears power steering box by 2.44566mm!! on that A-body

Quick Reply: 6.0 into 70 Chevelle. Mounting?????