Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

67 Chevelle convert on a corvette suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 67 Chevelle convert on a corvette suspension

I purchased one of those Corvette running gears that you may have seen on E-Bay. I am going to install this in to a Chevelle convertable. I know that I will have to remove most of the floor in the car, and I will have to lengthen the torque tube about 11" to match the wheel base of the Chevelle.

I am building a new frame to make this work. I was wondering if anyone has done this build of one of these Corvette running gears.

Has anyone built a frame for any auto? If so, can you give me any pointers. I have built a frame jig out of tube steel on my gaurage floor so I can make the frame square and level. If you have done this, I would love to hear your comments.

So far the build has moved forward with out too many problems, other than finding someone to make the torque tube longer. I have spoken to a couple of shops to do this, but so far still trying to find information on doing this. If you know someone who has done this, please let me know.

Right now I am building the frame and am trying to figure out how to get springs to fit, to handle the additional weight of the Chevelle, or run the stock spring springs with additional coil over shocks, but not sure if this will be enough, and am thinking that I might be better off to go with air bags, but still trying to find air bags that will work.

I have purchased a wiring harness from Painless, but do not have a computer as of yet that will run the engine, but remove all of the Corvette trouble codes and such.

I am also going to have a problem with the width of the wheel base with the stock Z06 tires and rims that I have, due to them being about 2" too wide to fit in to the quarter panels of the Chevelle. May need to see if I can get a bigger offset wheel.

I have seen a web sight of a company that is doing this build with a Camero, and that has given me some information.

Any help, comments, or feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks Jim
Old 01-07-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might check with Art Morrison Ent., they build alot of frames and many of their designs are with Corvette running gear.

http://www.artmorrison.com/

Quick Reply: 67 Chevelle convert on a corvette suspension