Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1951 Mercury monarch 5.3 swap.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1951 Mercury monarch 5.3 swap.

Well, after reading for weeks on end on here I decided to sign up. I am currently doing a 5.3/4L60E conversion on my 51 Merc sled, swappin out the old flathead. I thought I had a fairly decent grasp of what was required to get the swap done until tonight. The engine showed up and I see what looks like 2 fuel lines. I am sure I had read an article that said all the fittings and fuel lines (well, to the engine anways) were the same as other LS1's. I found the part numbers on here, and ordered the vette filter regulator, and the fittings listed, but now seeing the return line on the engine I am wondering what fittings are proper for the 5.3, and what to run for a filter/regulator. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:13 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

What kind of fuel pump setup are you planning to run?

Any pics of your car, is it chopped?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

isn't one line a pressure and one (the smaller) would be the return line?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you doing with the old flathead??? I need the crankshaft for a stroker motor.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:52 AM
9 Second Club

Old 01-15-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure how the fuel rails on the 5.3s work, so not able to answer your question. But I do want to welcome you to the forum and say it's great to see another custom in the house!! That 5.3 should make your sled an ultimate cruiser.

Please keep us posted.

Pat
Old 01-15-2008, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

97 and 98 LS motors had a feed and return line. The pressure regulator was mounted on the fuel rail. The newer stuff has the pressure regulator in the tank with the fuel pump assembly. Hence the one fuel line on later models

I prefer the two lines, as my car was already setup for a feed and return line. Just got some longer hoses and adapters. Done deal

-jason
Old 01-15-2008, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Well, lets hope I did this right, as I placed an order with Summit today. I am running an inline pump, then the filter, and also ordered an adjustable pressure regulator and pressure gauge. I assume by the last poster, that all truck engines had an in-tank pressure regulator? If so, my set up should be good, I just hope the 5.3 has the same fittings to go on the fuel rail as the LS1 does, as that is what I ordered, can anyone confirm this?

As for the old flathead, I plan to sell it, and the factory overdrive trans. The whole car only had 36000 miles on, and the engine ran great. Some people would hate that I am cutting up a great old car like this, but I am hot rodder, its in my blood, lol.

The car is not chopped yet, but it will be. I have a video on how to chop a 4 door 51, which is GREAT, and really shows you every cut and every detail. I plan to get it driving first, and so for the first few years I will just drive it as a mild sled, then one winter go nuts and chop it. So far I have lakes pipes, lancer caps, spot lights, drop blocks, skirts and a few more kustom goodies for it. I don't have any pics of how it sits now with all the wiring and engine stripped out, and for some reason it wont let me post the pics on this site. They are from photobucket, but it replaces part of the link with ****, for some reason. So it would seem, the letters S R T 4 can not be posted all together on this site, or it stars them all out, I wonder what the story is with that.... So ya, pics will be up as soon as I can figure why it stars out those letters.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

My son has a 1951 Ford.

Cut it up!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails 1951 Mercury monarch 5.3 swap.-dscn2715-small-.jpg  
Old 01-16-2008, 11:16 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Is it a factory full frame car, like an X-frame? I don't know much about pre-1960 cars.

I'm a fan of a external fuel pump using an adjustable pressure regulator, only because I don't like chasing down problems with the factory style stuff (though it works well).

My turbo formy runs two external pumps and a Weldon fuel pressure regulator.

I'm close to buying an older car and will be seriously considering an LSx swap but I need to seal the deal on the car first and look it over once I have it.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Is it a factory full frame car, like an X-frame? I don't know much about pre-1960 cars.

I'm a fan of a external fuel pump using an adjustable pressure regulator, only because I don't like chasing down problems with the factory style stuff (though it works well).

My turbo formy runs two external pumps and a Weldon fuel pressure regulator.

I'm close to buying an older car and will be seriously considering an LSx swap but I need to seal the deal on the car first and look it over once I have it.
It is a full frame, with an x crossmember in the middle. So would it be a good idea to run my aftermarket regulator? I have since found out that supposedly a 5.3 has a fuel regulator in the fuel rail, so not sure if there is any point in using my aftermarket one.

My next question, who is the best to use to get my harness reworked for stand alone. I don't the time or patience to attempt to do it myself, so i would rather have someone else do the harness. My problem is, the retard that took the engine out has cut the harness where it goes to the trans, aswell it looks like the mass air plug is missing to. SO, I will need the harness fixed, aswell as reworked for stand alone.

Last question, I don't have the stock ECU, I currently don't have any ECU. I read somewhere that I have to have some tech do some scan or something while reving it at 5000 rpm to get the new computer to learn the crank or something like that. I have never heard of this before, but I suppose most people have the ECU. Is this a fact that I will have to have this done, or is there some way arround it, i could see this causing a huge problem, as I don't know anyone that could do this. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

My recommendation for harness and ECU work is Speartech. John built a custom harness for me that had only what I needed and fit exactly based on dimentions I had given him. It is fully wire loomed and labled and came wit very easy to read instructions. He can also take care of prepping your ECU, or probably provide one for you. Check him out at www.speartech.com. He is a board sponsor and provides excellent service and support if you should get stuck on something.

Pat
Old 01-17-2008, 09:51 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Speartech is very good, if I do an LSx conversion on the car I bought I'll either get a Speartech harness or a Painless one (Not sure who else is doing one).

I don't know much about stock fuel regulators, I thought they were in the gas tanks but honestly my kids have been acting up all nite so I'm brain dead right now.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

HEY Regina...a friend is just about finished his 51 Merc Sled.....he put a 1964/5 425ci Nailhead in it with 2x4bbls.....neat cars.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jaysz28
97 and 98 LS motors had a feed and return line. The pressure regulator was mounted on the fuel rail. The newer stuff has the pressure regulator in the tank with the fuel pump assembly. Hence the one fuel line on later models

I prefer the two lines, as my car was already setup for a feed and return line. Just got some longer hoses and adapters. Done deal

-jason

On my 2003 5.3 it has the return line. I was told that it was the last year for the 5.3's to have the return line. I am installing mine in a 1947 chevy coupe. Its a lot of work. Good luck.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

I used the Corvette filter/regulator and a GM in-tank pump, located the filter/reg. on the framerail just ahead of the fuel tank so my return line is very short, the feed runs along the right framerail to the engine bay and the Corvette fuel rail. Easy for me.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

My 2005 5.3 Has no return line on the engine fuel rail. I used a frame mounted corvette filter/ regulator mounted where my old filter was on my 96 S10 Blazer, Very short return line then.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Weren't '50's Canadian built Mercury's badged as Monarch's? It shouldn't say "Mercury" anywhere on the car if it's a "Monarch", if I remember correctly. Good luck on the swap.

Andy1
Old 01-21-2008, 01:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Andy1
Weren't '50's Canadian built Mercury's badged as Monarch's? It shouldn't say "Mercury" anywhere on the car if it's a "Monarch", if I remember correctly. Good luck on the swap.

Andy1
You are correct, but most people have no idea what a monarch is, but yes, it is a canadian merc.

I need to find a mass airflow sensor, so I will need to make a WTB thread for that. Anyone have any idea's if I need to run an aftermarket pressure regulator or if the one in the fuel rail will be enough?

With any luck I will be dropping it in for a test fit tonight, pics will be up soon hopefully.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:00 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I'd run an aftermarket regulator since one would be plumbing an aftermarket gas tank solution along with fuel lines.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1951 Mercury monarch 5.3 swap.