Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Mount Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine Mount Question

I am installing an LS1 into my 62 Chevy II. I have the TCI front subframe with the motor mounts already installed. I just got my new adapter plates from Car Shop Inc. They are 5/16" thick plate and use the front lower LS1 motor mount hole for the bottom bolt of the 3 bolt motor mount. I am using new prothane urethane mounts. Stiff little suckers so it is almost impossible to force them to move even a little.

I cannot get the holes to line up between the motor mount and the frame mount. I think the motor mount holes are spread to far apart because of the adapter plate thickness.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any suggestions? I really don't want to cut the motor mounts off the frame and move them. I guess I could try and send the plates back and get something thinner.

What thickness of plate are some of the adapter plates others are using?
Old 01-16-2008, 05:19 AM
Launching!

When I did mine, using a Heights front end with an S&P adaptor plate, I needed to cut the passenger side motor mount so that the engine could be mounted. This had the added effect of the orignal engine offset in the ChevyII so it turned out to be a blessing in disguise.
Not sure if you have the same problem with the newer subframes or not though......
Old 01-16-2008, 07:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

I just bought a 6.0 for my 64 chevy II and will be replacing a 396 big block . Will the adapter plates you speak of work the same afrom a small block? this is going in a tubbed and narrowed fiberglass and lexxan type car. Can make motor plates if these plates dont work
Old 01-16-2008, 07:24 AM
Launching!

I believe there is a difference between the SBC & BBC motor mounts....check with the manufactures.